J Pouch Removal

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Jrt1352

J Pouch Removal

Post by Jrt1352 »

I’m scheduled to have my j pouch removed and also have my rectum removed and sewn shut. I’m curious about the recovery time for this procedure. I’ve read some horror stories about the Barbie butt taking forever to heal. Any advice is appreciated.
ot dave

Re: J Pouch Removal

Post by ot dave »

A resectioning of that magnitude is going to be at least a 6 week recovery. I was 36 when I had mine done. I thought I'd be fine well before 6 weeks. I was NOT! Took every bit of 8 weeks for me, and then it was still slow going for a while after that. Everyone heals differently, but that was my experience.
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I agree with Dave. I was 26 when I had the first ileo created in late August & the wrap-up (abdominal mucus fistula closed and a very diseased rectum & anus removed) the following November. Give yourself plenty of time to heal, but I must add, that I began to really feel & do better once this procedure was performed. Praying you also see a definite improvement in your own health.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Jrt1352

Post by Jrt1352 »

Thanks for getting back to me.
ron in mich.

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi J i had mine done the same time i had my ilieo.and the incision in front healed quicker than on my backside, and then i got an infection when it was almost healed and that had to be cleaned out and a round of antibiotics, the one thing i reccomend is find a good soft pillow to sit on, none of those ring types tho they tend to spread the cheeks and cause pain. good luck