Bag Change Advice

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Jrt1352

Bag Change Advice

Post by Jrt1352 »

I just did my first post surgery bag change at home and have a few questions for the more experienced folks on the forum:

1. I seem to have a small crease that runs from my belly button to the left side of my flange. It’s not big enough to cause a leak, but I think a little bit of smell is making its way through the crease, especially in day 2 and 3 of having the bag on. Is there a good way to seal that during a bag change? Stoma paste maybe?

2. What’s the best way to clean the remaining remnants of an eakin ring when changing my bag? Most of it comes off when I remove the wafer but there are small chunks and pieces that remain. I’m just looking for the best way to make sure it’s all removed before a clean one is put on.

3. Does the skin prep go on the area just around the stoma before putting an eakin ring on or does it just go on the areas where the tape portion of the flange goes?

4. Finally, for the men, do you find its better to shave the area around the stoma with a razor or with an electric trimmer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
ron in mich.

Re: Bag Change Advice

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi JRT i would use a little paste in the crease if that doesnt seem to work i would trim someoff an eakin seal and use that as for residue i use an adhesive remover wipe from convatec but then i wash that off with warm water, i dont use any skin prep and only shave once a month with a disposable razor.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Hello JRT: So glad to read your post. Like Ron, I also keep an adhesive wipe handy during a change in case I need it. I do use ConvaTec Sensi Care sting free barrier wipes because I've noticed my skin has become more fragile as I age & cover the peristomal area plus any abdominal skin that will be exposed to tape. I can also recommend Sure Seal Rings (a transparent film sized to completely cover the wafer after it is in place) by Active Lifestyle Products. I struggled a bit at first with how to apply them successfully, but it has been worth the effort. I buy mine thru Parthenon out in Utah. It's a family operated company with a helpful courteous staff who have always answered my questions.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Jrt1352

Post by Jrt1352 »

Thanks so much.
sandys

Post by sandys »

Hi JRT,
Don’t know if this will work for you, but my, wound care NP told me to pull up my skin to eliminate the crease that has formed with advancing age and weight gain. I use an Eakin or Coloplast seal plus a convex Durahesive wafer and a Convatec pouch. When my skin starts to become irritated I switch to Coloplast 2 piece products. I don’t use any skin prep or powder.
I get 3 to 7 days wear,

It takes some time to find the right system for youbut you will find lots if advice and ideas on this forum.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since