Sensitive skin adhesive?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Seabreeze

Sensitive skin adhesive?

Post by Seabreeze »

Due to cancer I'm having a permanent colostomy. I have very, very sensitive skin, and am desperately worried about the adhesive pouch removing my skin due to sensitivity. I've discussed this with 2 sets of ostomy nurses, who told me to go find an adhesive pouch meant for sensitive skin. You'd think THEY would know, but apparently not. So can anyone here point me in the right direction please?
To Dream a Dream

Re: Sensitive skin adhesive?

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Welcome to our Discussion Board family. We hope you find the support & information you need as you embark upon this stage in your own life's journey. My own skin tends to be sensitive & as I am aging, even more so. Over the years, I have had best results with ConvaTec supplies & their customer support. https://www.convatec.com/ I use their Durahesive moldable wafer two-piece system because I have an ileostomy stoma with a very liquid output. In the ostomy realm, skin care needs include not just the adhesive wafer but an entire plethora of protective wipes, cleansing items, tapes & seal available for your reassurance & support. The major manufacturers have ostomy nurses &/or other trained personnel to help you try out & select those products that meet your individual needs. Before having your surgery, if time allows, you may find it very helpful to inquire of a few of the many other companies available. Hollister & Coloplast are two that come to mind.
And don't forget: https://www.uoaa.org/ is the main website for our organization. It offers a wealth of information including the New ostomy Patient Guide which can be downloaded directly or requested by mail or phone. And please check back with us on this discussion board 24/7 where you can find people who have firsthand experience & will be happy to answer your questions.
Again thanks for contacting us.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Seabreeze

Post by Seabreeze »

Thank you so much!
Mara

Post by Mara »

I agree with you - shouldn't ostomy nurses be telling you!! Anyway you can get samples from manufacturers as TDaD said above.

I am extremely lucky - my skin is in good shape - finger crossed and I hope I'm not jinxing myself.

I am one of those who believe less is better. I don't use a plethora of items at all. I just wash my skin with some soap in the shower when I change my appliance.

Also with a colostomy you may be able to irrigate and wear a small pouch which might be easier on your skin.

Best of luck!
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

Get adhesive remover wipes or spray. They'll make it easier to change.

Push the skin away from wafer rather than peel wafer off

Head and shoulders around skin during a shower seems good for the skin.
Seabreeze

Post by Seabreeze »

Hoping for irrigation. My skin is so sensitive that Head and Shoulders burns. Thank you for taking time to reply
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I use plain water for my own cleanup applied with a 2x2 pure 100% cotton SQUARE (NO lotions in them.) I find them in Walmart, CVS & occasionally other chain stores, in the Beauty section.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
sandys

Post by sandys »

I agree with above advice. Use plain water warm or cold on a cotton square and wipe well. Don’t worry about some residue from Eakin or other seal,you don’t have to scrub it off. Dry skin well then apply products.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
Golden_Road

Post by Golden_Road »

I also have highly reactive sensitive skin. I use a Hollister flange that has Remois technology. Since using this product, all red irritated weeping skin around the stoma completely healed. No more itching too.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.hollister.com/en/ceraplus

Cheers!