Adventures in eating - and output!

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ileo73

Adventures in eating - and output!

Post by ileo73 »

Last night, my wife - who'd had a rough few days from her job - asked if we could go to a French restaurant near us for dinner. I agreed, and we enjoyed the fromage and charcuterie plates, plus steak tartare which my late mother used to love and which I also liked.

Dinner went down just fine. But middle of the night, I woke up to a pouch full of liquid. I emptied, but process repeated roughly hourly since. I quieted things down with a breakfast of toast and applesauce. Just had a little more applesauce and that, plus a pot of tea, may be lunch today.

Obviously there's a range of potential culprits. All I could say for sure is output smelled like cheese.

I'd go back to the restaurant, but probably get something less indulgent.

Only other symptoms are being a little gassy, a little congested. For all I know. I'd have had no problems eating the same delicious things another day.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Adventures in eating - and output!

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I had a similar experience this Fall, but blamed fresh garden veggies for a very uncomfortable situation resembling past partial obstructions. Fortunately, after immediately putting myself onto a clear liquid diet advanced cautiously to soft foods as tolerated, the worst symptoms did subside. Sad to say the current pandemic has also compounded even less drastic medical problems for those of us with ostomies. At least I've found myself making decisions I wish could be supported by a professional. Suddenly, my options seem much more limited. Do I go to an over-burdened ER? Or tough it out at home realizing I may be jeopardizing fluid/electrolyte balance or worse.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

Ouch.

My own rule of thumb is that unless it's really a major and unprecedented physical symptom, I try to get it under control with things that have worked before, and don't seek out the pros unless I'm at a loss.
Golden_Road

Post by Golden_Road »

@ileo73 I am assuming you have an ileostomy and you have no ileao break. The break usually sends a message to slow transit down. Unfortunately, the break would have most likely been removed during surgery. Before consuming a fast transit meal, consider eating something to slow digestion down first, so as to act as the break. Good luck on your next adventure and experimenting with fast AND slow transit foods.

Slow Transit Suggestions To Try: marshmallow, banana, potato, Bread (sourdough works great for me)

Watch this UOAA video with more information and great illustrations: https://youtu.be/niBfy2DkoM0

Cheers!
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

Oh I'm a great fan of carbs with my meal but usually to absorb the liquid. If I'm getting fish, which normally gives me a lot of liquid, I want a side of rice or potatoes.