Illeo and bladder stones

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Mjc

Illeo and bladder stones

Post by Mjc »

Hello All,
I have been a "lurker" here for many, many years. I have learned many helpful things from all of you, so thank you. I have had my illeostomy for 40+ years with basically no problems until recently. My recent physical showed blood in my urine and the dr wants to do a cyctoscopy to see what is going on in my bladder. He said the in-depth urinalysis showed "blood" in my bladder. Does anyone have any advice and experiences to share on bladder stones, symptoms and outcomes? I am freaking out that it could be bladder cancer, of course. I am female and never smoked.
Many thanks to all of you,
MJCW
ulcerative colitis - age24
total colostomy age 25, ileostomy for 40+ years
total hysterectomy
Cjl58+

Re: Illeo and bladder stones

Post by Cjl58+ »

Hello! I had the same surgery over 40 years ago (when I was 12) for Crohn's. I have many stones in both my bladder and kidneys (particularly the right one) and hematuria as well as visible blood in my urine. I was diagnosed with Nutcracker Syndrome and a major symptom is blood in the urine and related flank pain. I am followed carefully by a urologist and nephrologist for the stones and subsequent hematuria. I think it is wise to rule out anything more serious, but, for me at least, this is an on-going and benign issue that is being monitored. I also have a family history of stones and narrowing of the ureter which could also cause blood in the urine and stone formation. So, basically, I have it coming from all sides. Lol. Hope this helps a little. Hang in there!
Golden_Road

Post by Golden_Road »

I found this article from University of Chicago to be helpful:

https://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/chapt ... ey-stones/

Cheers!
Mjc

Post by Mjc »

Thank you both! All the tests came back negative for anything serious but still no explanation for why there is a tiny bit of blood in my urine. They are keeping an eye on it. Thank goodness for insurance. The test costs were unreal. I don't know how everyone can afford this stuff.
ulcerative colitis - age24
total colostomy age 25, ileostomy for 40+ years
total hysterectomy