Stoma falls through hole I cut in wafer sometimes

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Scooter74

Stoma falls through hole I cut in wafer sometimes

Post by Scooter74 »

Throughout the night it seems my stoma shrinks sometimes and falls through the hole cut in my wafer on my ostomy bag emptying onto skin. Everything is tight when I go to bed then sometimes I wake up and my stoma is falling inside hole? Has anyone else had this issue? Doesn’t happen all the time. Seems my stoma changes shape and size some nights. When I get bag off the stoma definitely looks smaller and just different than when I go to bed. It’s looks swollen when I go to bed.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Stoma falls through hole I cut in wafer sometimes

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I had experienced the same problem for many years until ConvaTec developed their Sur-Fit Natura Moldable Durahesive barrier wafers. They are stretch to fit. You do not cut them but roll back their precut-opening to cover your skin right up to the stoma. They have just enough give to accommodate shrinkage or swelling.
Also, an option may be Sensi Care skin barrier wipes that I apply to my clean skin before placement of the wafer. Another layer of defense against leakage & skin breakdown.
Hopefully, this is a link to ConvaTec: https://www.convatec.com/ostomy/convate ... echnology/ They may be able to send you samples.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
steiconi

Re: Stoma falls through hole I cut in wafer sometimes

Post by steiconi »

Are you saying your stoma retracts, so it's flush with your skin?
I have that problem, too. The moldable wafers didn't work for me; when my stoma retracted, the wafer unrolled, covering the stoma and trapping pooh.

You might try a convex wafer; it presses into your skin and prevents seeping.
Lee

I am not my disease.