Retraining?

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steiconi

Retraining?

Post by steiconi »

I've been irrigating for about six years, but I seem to be getting off schedule.

I usually irrigate around 9 pm, and that was fine for years, but lately, I've been getting significant "earlies," sometimes a full pouch, around 5 or 6 pm.

I don't really want to irrigate so early. How can I reset things?

Do you think skipping an irrigation and just dealing with normal output for a day would change things? I hate dealing with normal output. :(

Maybe fasting for a week. I could lose some weight! Not gonna happen, especially this time of year.

Any suggestions?
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mikem

Re: Retraining?

Post by Mikem »

Last year I went cold turkey for 3 months because my irrigation sessions were getting too long.

After restarting I had better results for a short time before returning the prior normal.

I am guessing that as our bodies age there will always be changes to the digestive system function.

MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Thanks, Mike.
I'm kind of afraid to stop irrigating, even though it's not giving me the results it used to. Maybe I should just try it.
Lee

I am not my disease.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

This past year, I went for about 2-3 months with less than desired results. I was having a lot of trouble getting the water to infuse... I don't know what happened, but one day, it stopped being an issue and I was able to resume normal, effective irrigation. That said, my weight had increased during the pandemic, and once I got back to a closer to normal routine, that is when my irrigations seemed to straighten out. So, mine may have been more of a function of overall weight as opposed to age... Who knows?! As Jimbob says, it's an interesting hobby for sure!

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I didn't irrigate last night, was kind of worried I'd be up and down, but it was quiet all night and day until about 6 pm. That's a huge improvement--the night before, the pouch filled twice.

Lots of output with tonight's irrigation, hoping for a quiet night.
Lee

I am not my disease.
darick

Post by darick »

My schedule for years has typically been Monday, Wednesday, Friday around 8AM. Periodically it has to shift for travel or early work meetings, so once in awhile I would do it the night before. As of late, I am getting more and more early output as well, annoying me as well for a non-empty bag (supply cost goes up hah). I might try putting more water in next week and see if that helps flush more out possibly. My diet is always fluctuating, so hard to pin point to anything beyond a few knowns I mostly avoid.
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-