Comfort Medical Supplier

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
To Dream a Dream

Comfort Medical Supplier

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Around six pm EST a very tasteful informative advertisement for Ostomy Supplies by Comfort Medical popped up on my TV screen. Accustomed to all sorts of ads, this seemed a rarity for me to see the names of our major manufacturers listed for all to view. (The only other ad I had ever seen that mentioned ostomy did so, I felt, a bit timidly.) I just checked out Comfort Medical's website & it appears both comprehensive & user-friendly. I know nothing about this company besides what I just read so can give them no endorsement. But I will commend them for taking a big step in presenting ostomy information in such a matter-of-fact way.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
patrimo

Re: Comfort Medical Supplier

Post by patrimo »

Hi To Dream a Dream,

I always try checking a business out on the BBB site before doing business. I'd love to find a new supplier because mine doesn't get great customer ratings and I have had ongoing issues with them---but they do get my orders to me.

Comfort Medical doesn't fare so well on the BBB site, so I'd be cautious. I'm always willing to check out a new supplier, though so don't be shy about sharing!
Pat
Irreversible ileostomy--March 2021
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

FYI, Comfort Medical is owned by Coloplast. Comfort Medical sells other brands of ostomy products besides Coloplast, but is naturally biased somewhat toward selling Coloplast products.

As another, somewhat similar relationship, 180 Medical is owned by ConvaTec. But, in that case, the only brand of ostomy products sold by 180 Medical is ConvaTec.

The major manufacturers don't sell directly to consumers. They sell only through suppliers. But then, when the manufacturer owns a supplier, the manufacturer does, in effect, sell directly to consumers.
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Hi Bob: Thanks for the clarification. I've often wondered why we could not just buy direct from the major manufacturers. I've used ConvaTec products since before their inception (back in 1977 when I had the initial ostomy surgery) & they were still Squibb. Stomahesive had just come out. A blessing for me as I am terribly allergic to all karaya based products. Back then, in Binghamton, NY, I used a local pharmacy recommended by my late great ET Nurse (Miss Jean Laux ) for my appliances. That's when the Binghamton Chapter of UOA (not a typo) was extremely active in our area. And we people with ostomies seemed to be one big extended family. Including our GI docs, surgeons, nurses, & pharmacists. And the ConvaTec & Hollister Reps who often attended our monthly meetings also played a major part.
Times changed as they tend to do & I went with Edgepark for a number of years until the service deteriorated. Fortunately, I can currently order routinely thru a small medical supply, & I also patronize the family-owned Parthenon Company out in Utah (mainly because my late great ET Nurse knew the patriarch personally from their shared support of the old UOA.)
Patrimo: I highly recommend Parthenon for their ostomy information, courtesy & kindness. Which I may have mentioned in a number of my posts over the years.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
cdogtom

Post by cdogtom »

Good to know ...