Post surgery diet

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Josh1721

Post surgery diet

Post by Josh1721 »

Hi there everyone, I’m Josh and I had emergency ileostomy surgery on the 14th of feb 2022.

I was in hospital for a week or so post surgery and then I was allowed to go home. I’m currently following a low residue diet as instructed by the hospital dietitian… but. All I seem to be eating is high fat foods. I’ll take you through a day of normal eating for me currently:

8:30AM-Breakfast- bowl of cocopops with milk. + small banana.

9:30AM- 2 slices of white toast- with small amount of butter. + a small glass of apple or orange juice (smooth)

11:00AM- 6 bite sized scotch eggs.

1:00PM- Tuna Mayo white baguette+ pack of walkers cheese and onion crisps.

3:00pm- 3-4 biscuits+ 300ml of milk. Or two low fat baby bells.

6:00pm- skinless sausages + mash potatoes and gravy.

6:40pm- magnum ice cream bar.

8:00pm- twirl bar (2 fingers)

I just feel like I’m craving some kind of fruit or veggies basically. I don’t feel like I’m eating healthy at all? But I was told to avoid all fruit and veggies like the plague with the exception of potatoes and bananas. They both agree with me. The stoma nurse tells me that my output it “perfect” so does this give me the green light to start having anything I want?

My second question is when should I start to branch out to try new things such as fast food (McDonald’s, KFC, subway, dominos ect) are there any things I should avoid that will just make me really sick? How often should I have these kinds of foods once every 2 weeks is my personal preference pre surgery.

My final question is about car seat belts. How do you guys use them without your output being blocked off? Every time I get into a car the seatbelt goes directly over my stoma. I don’t wear it now because of the fear of it crushing my stoma. I know how stupid it sounds to not wear a seatbelt but I can’t help but feel that if I were in an accident the crushing pressure from the seatbelt on my stoma would cause a lot of damage.
steiconi

Re: Post surgery diet

Post by steiconi »

Ask your ostomy nurse about diet, but I don't remember strong restrictions lasting very long. Introduce new foods gradually and see how you do.

Sounds like you're eating a lot of carbs and fat, maybe focus on more lean protein.

Problem foods are usually those that don't break down in the digestive system, like corn, mushrooms, peas, etc. Fiber (found in whole grains and veggies) doesn't break down completely, either, but it's so good for you!

You're more likely to be severely injured by not wearing your seatbelt in an accident than by squashing your pouch. Try tucking something under the seatbelt next to the pouch, to leave a gap. Try things you have around--an empty tupperware container, a short chunk of 2x4--and see what works for you.
Lee

I am not my disease.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

The dietitian should be in tune to your specific needs as you recover. All of those foods you listed seem to be appropriate. But, now that you're 2 months out, I would think that you would be able to start introducing new foods to your daily routine. Fruits and veggies tend to bind up and cause some blockages for folks, but not for everyone. I agree with steiconi. Start introducing new things, in small amounts and see how it affects your system. Different foods do different things to people. For me, hot cheese on pizza sets my system into "dump" mode. Also, too many almonds/cashews will do the same thing. And, some fish oils get me too...salmon is a big culprit. Oh, and things fried in peanut oil hit me hard as well. Now, I have a colostomy, so my dietary restrictions were none when I left the hospital. But, over time, I've learned what does and does not work for me.
As far as seatbelts go, sometimes stoma placements are an unfortunate after thought.... But, do not fear that you will hurt the stoma. Going through the windshield is a far bigger issue than needing your stoma repaired. That said, the stoma, though looking fragile, is pretty tough. Yes, they bleed easily, even just by touching them with tissue. They are lined with fragile capillaries that break easily when touched. The mucous does a good job of keeping the surface lubricated so that they don't bleed all of the time. I was riding my bike one day, and went over the handle bars with my stoma getting pretty crushed. It bled, but was otherwise fine. Wear the seatbelt, it's far safer.
Hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

Josh, if you don't start eating some healthy foods your ostomy won't kill you, your heart will! Kidding, but that is a horribly high in fat and sugar diet. I've had my ileo for getting close to 40 years. By now I eat pretty much everything I like. Higher in fat in the winter when I live in the cold and ski, less fat in the summer. I eat veggies all year. I DO tend to steam them softer than most do but I'm still getting a lot of good. Buffalo cauliflower ... a little less healthy but YUM!! I would mostly describe my diet as Mediterranean. I eat meat if I'm out but rarely at home (too lazy!).

I agree with the suggestion to try something a bit at a time. Uncooked veggies can give some a problem. When you try that, chew them to death and drink lots of water. I love a good spinach salad. You may find with the veggies that things slow down or seem chunky on output. Happens and that's another reason to try a bit at a time. Yes, I have messed up from time to time and had to wait out a less comfortable time. But I'm talking a couple of times a year.

Why are you eating so often? I know I don't have a good 'stop' mechanism when there is a change of eating! To control my weight (along with exercise, and I teach fitness as my retirement job) I eat a max of three, more often two times a day. Again more in the winter since I'm outside exercising for hours a day. I do make sure I keep my fluid intake up. Also controls blood pressure which is a concern at my age.

Hope this wasn't too flip a response! When I had my surgery, after a month in the hospital and weeks before that out of work, there was no internet. I was blessed with a really smart nurse in the hospital who showed me what to do. No internet was a good thing for me as I would have obsessed over all the potential 'what ifs' instead of going out and living my life! I got a second chance and was not going to waste it!
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

You got a lot of great advice above, so I am only going to respond regards the seatbelt problem.
Get a seat belt adjuster or lock and adjust to your situation.
I use a lock and have it adjusted to
1 - Lay loosely over my stomach
2 - Lay loosely over my stoma and just to the side
Here is the lock I use after trying several. https://www.amazon.com/Diono-Secure-Pro ... 8543940567