180 medical

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steiconi

180 medical

Post by steiconi »

I've been ordering supplies from 180 medical for several years. They frequently screw up orders, sending stuff I've ordered in the past, but don't need any more. They usually fix the problem quickly.

This time, I ordered just wafers. They sent me "Kangaroo gravity feed tubes". Reference numbers aren't even close, warehouse guy must hate his job.

But the real problem is the company isn't responding. I've emailed three times in the week since delivery, no reply. Last time there was a problem, I called; I spent 15 minutes on hold, then they gave me bad information, and it took 3 emails to sort it out.

Are they going out of business? Do they just not care? Do they hate me, personally? Anybody else having problems with them?

Any suggestions on a company that actually sends what you order? And takes Medicare.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mara

Re: 180 medical

Post by Mara »

That's horrible - I am at the point, not just ostomy related, but in general I won't take any s---. ;-)

I use AdaptHealth Patient Care - they used to be McKesson and maybe something else in the middle - don't remember. Anyway, they take Medicare - at least original Medicare - don't know about Advantage plans. I had an issue with them getting my doctor's RX which is just his signature on something they fax to him - it finally got straightened out and it's good for a year for the same items. I usually get my order in two days as it comes from NJ and I Iive in NYC.

I had a problem a year or so ago when the carton arrived open and one box was missing and another damaged -they sent me replacements quickly.

Hope that helps!

PS Kangaroo feed tubes - it's probably not but it sounds awfully funny!!
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
Ornery

Post by Ornery »

I have been very happy with Duke medical since I changed over to them 6 months ago. They are a small company but efficient and accurate. And when you call them you actually talk to one of two customer service reps and they are friendly and helpful! I don't think they have a heavy inventory as it sometimes takes a few extra days to receive an order but they will send what they have until they get restocked. They accept medicare.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Have you contacted Parthenon in Utah? The people are very nice. But I am not sure about insurance.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
jstl

Post by jstl »

I've been using Stomabags (SB Medical)for supplies for a while and haven't had a problem. Customer service is good. I switched to them after issues with a larger better known company. I don't know if they will file Medicare or other insurance, though.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Mara wrote: 2022-02-18 16:02:06
I told them I don't have a kangaroo. Maybe they think I'm nuts.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mara

Post by Mara »

steiconi wrote: 2022-02-20 20:06:13
Mara wrote: 2022-02-18 16:02:06
I told them I don't have a kangaroo. Maybe they think I'm nuts.
steiconi....lol....

Re-reading your original post about the company frequently making mistakes - I just can't put up with stuff like that - ostomy supplies are not like a shirt or pair of shoes you order online - they are similar to medication imo and can 't be messed up continually. I used another company some time ago and received a box of Eakin seals which was opened and a couple were missing. Well, I don't want a box opened deliberately like that - so I asked for a replacement for the opened box. They sent it to me but they charged Medicare again - I protested and reported them for fraud....and stopped using them.
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

To Dream a Dream wrote: 2022-02-19 19:37:33 Have you contacted Parthenon in Utah? The people are very nice. But I am not sure about insurance.
They were nice when I dealt with them in the past, but I don't think they accept insurance.
Lee

I am not my disease.
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

I use Desert Providers in Coolidge AZ. They provide service to AZ and CA and they accept Medicare assignment. They have been aces for me, never once a problem in, what, going on 10 years or so? Michelle, Latisha or Patti will pick up the phone, very small company.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I've been using Edgepark for years. However, due to Covid, the company seems to be short-staffed. A young man took my order and made many errors. I had him repeat my order to me FOUR times. When the package arrived, half of the supplies were wrong. So, I'm switching to Byram or Parthenon. Sorry, I don't know 180 medical but Edgepark's service has seemed to decline.
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
Oldenough

Post by Oldenough »

I use Edgepark and Parthenon and both have been really good. I've never had any issues with an order from either one.
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

Early on, I tried several. Edgepark was the worst but had the best web catalog. Edgepark made you pay up front, and Medicare caught them price cheating on two of my orders. Ended up with Byram who have been the most consistent and easiest to deal with. And I like that Byram waits until medicare pays them before they bill me the balance owed, precludes fraud or errors.
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

Notes on some of the companies mentioned in this thread:

Stomabags can be an excellent choice when you're paying out of pocket and know the purchase won't be covered by insurance.

You might be interested in a page on my support group's website at https://www.ostomyok.org/tollfree.shtml that lists major suppliers in three categories:

1. Full-Service Mail Order Distributors – file insurance and take Medicare Assignment
2. Mail Order Distributors that file insurance but don’t take Medicare Assignment
3. Discount Mail Order Distributors that don’t file insurance paperwork

AdaptHealth, Byram and Edgepark are in the first category, while Stomabags is a discount distributor in the third category. Parthenon is an intermediate case, in the second category. You can use Parthenon for purchases that will be covered by Medicare, but Parthenon doesn't take "assignment" so, for example, you have to pay them up front and get reimbursed by Medicare later. See Parthenon's FAQ page at https://parthenoninc.com/faq/ and scroll down to the "Medicare" section.

Mara said she uses AdaptHealth, which used to be McKesson. Changes like this are pretty common, but this doesn't mean McKesson changed its name to AdaptHealth. Instead, it means that AdaptHealth purchased McKesson's "patient care solutions" (direct-to-consumer) sales business. McKesson, which has always been mainly a wholesaler of medical products, still exists. For a while, McKesson was both a wholesaler and retailer. Now they're just a wholesaler again. If you buy your ostomy supplies from a small local supplier (as I do), you may be purchasing indirectly from McKesson. That's because small suppliers, who don't have the sales volumes to purchase directly from the manufacturers like Hollister or ConvaTec, must buy products from a middleman like McKesson.

Turning to the company in the title of this thread, 180 Medical is a subsidiary of ConvaTec. 180 Medical was acquired by ConvaTec in 2012 as described at https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 55451.html

As another somewhat similar case, Comfort Medical is owned by Coloplast, having been acquired by Coloplast in 2016 as described at https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... dical.html

Normally, the major manufacturers like Hollister, ConvaTec and Coloplast don't sell directly to consumers, but sell only through suppliers. So it may seem a little strange when one of these manufacturers owns a supplier.
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
Stovegut

Post by Stovegut »

Parthenon Group is great. You pay up front they file straight Medicare on your behalf. Free shipping over $100.00. They get you all kinds of stuff, even if it is not in their catalogue. I don’t know about other insurance.