Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Re: Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

Post by Bob Webtech »

FYI, the ostomy products that ConvaTec sold under the "Sensi-Care" name are being sold now under a different name, i.e., "Esenta" - see https://www.convatec.com/ostomy/esenta

ConvaTec made this change because they sold part of their Sensi-Care product line (some non-ostomy products only), along with the Sensi-Care brand name, to another company. So they needed a new brand name for the ostomy products that were previously part of the Sensi-Care line and which ConvaTec continues to sell. And they chose the name "Esenta."
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

Thanks Bob,
Haven't ordered them for a long time. Have corrected my order data.
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

I have a meeting coming up with both the new COO of Convatec's Ostomy division and their Director of R&D, and I will be sharing this thread with them. Convatec has recently undergone some changes, and they're not necessarily resulting in favorable results for their consumers.

It seems my suspicions were correct. Thank you for everyone's feedback so far. Please keep it coming.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

sabresfan18 wrote: 2022-04-22 10:08:08 I have a meeting coming up with both the new COO of Convatec's Ostomy division and their Director of R&D, and I will be sharing this thread with them. Convatec has recently undergone some changes, and they're not necessarily resulting in favorable results for their consumers.

It seems my suspicions were correct. Thank you for everyone's feedback so far. Please keep it coming.
There's another discussion of convatec changes at viewtopic.php?t=27434
Lee

I am not my disease.
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

steiconi wrote: 2022-04-22 19:39:23
sabresfan18 wrote: 2022-04-22 10:08:08 I have a meeting coming up with both the new COO of Convatec's Ostomy division and their Director of R&D, and I will be sharing this thread with them. Convatec has recently undergone some changes, and they're not necessarily resulting in favorable results for their consumers.

There's another discussion of convatec changes at viewtopic.php?t=27434
Hi Lee,

When I click that hyperlink, it brings me back to this thread. Do you mind double checking it please?

Thanks in advance.
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

Hi Sabresfan,

That's impressive that you'll be meeting with a ConvaTec COO and R&D Director. I just want to make sure that, in meeting with them and sharing this discussion thread, you also make sure they're aware (in case they might be tempted to reply directly on this discussion board) that this board has a long-standing rule prohibiting commercial posting, as stated in our Terms and Conditions at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3 In all likelihood, they're already aware of this rule, which is why you don't see ConvaTec or any of the other manufacturers or suppliers posting on this board. But since you explicitly mention sharing a discussion thread with them, it seems appropriate to emphasize this rule.

So, Sabresfan, you are welcome to report the results of your meeting to us. ConvaTec just won't be able to post about it here themselves.
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Bob Webtech wrote: 2022-04-22 23:16:54

Hi Sabresfan,

That's impressive that you'll be meeting with a ConvaTec COO and R&D Director. I just want to make sure that, in meeting with them and sharing this discussion thread, you also make sure they're aware (in case they might be tempted to reply directly on this discussion board) that this board has a long-standing rule prohibiting commercial posting, as stated in our Terms and Conditions at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3 In all likelihood, they're already aware of this rule, which is why you don't see ConvaTec or any of the other manufacturers or suppliers posting on this board. But since you explicitly mention sharing a discussion thread with them, it seems appropriate to emphasize this rule.

So, Sabresfan, you are welcome to report the results of your meeting to us. ConvaTec just won't be able to post about it here themselves.
Hi there, Bob.

Thanks for the heads-up; I will mention it to them. However, seeing as Convatec cannot get their customer service, manufacturing, and innovation up-to-speed, something tells me a company representative isn't going to be jumping on here to defend their name. The company is well aware of what's happening (hence, the new COO).

But again, I will be sure to mention it to Bruce and Neil when I meet with them on May 4th.

In the meantime, if anyone else has been impacted (positively or negatively) by Convatec's discontinuations of products, please leave comments in this thread with as much detail as you're comfortable sharing.

Thanks so much.
Last edited by sabresfan18 on 2022-04-23 10:41:11, edited 1 time in total.
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

To add further context:

I was using the 401522 pouches previously and those have been replaced by a 421681. The replacement product is horrible. The material on the inside of the bag has caused me to have to get Hypergrannulation cauterized twice. The pouches leak smells, are poorly constructed (come apart easily) and are in no way "opaque" after showering. AND, the kicker for me, they're more expensive than the 401522's.

I've used Convatec for 25+ years since having a Colostomy installed at the age of 8. I have NEVER had a problem up until ~Summer of 2021 when I received a call that my current pouches were being "upgraded," and I was to receive samples of the new product (421681). The nurse from Convatec told me that these changes were "feedback-driven" and made because of what their customers want. Well, I've since called BS, I think they're shrinking lot size and attempting to streamline products and that's not necessarily resulting in favorable outcomes for their customers.

My goal is to work with Neil and Bruce to see if there are any talks of getting their innovation and products back aligned with their company mission of allowing individuals with chronic health conditions to "lead the life they want."

If I'm not able to have some reassurance from Neil or Bruce, I will be submitting material to the BBB as well as a few other organizations to inquire about what my (our) rights are in regards to product discontinuation and the notice we're to be given. Another concern for mine is there is currently a massive second-hand market on sites like eBay where the discontinued bags are being sold at inflated prices because there's still a significant demand for them. This is allowing for numerous individuals to take advantage of Ostomy patients and I don't necessarily see how Convatec is not facilitating that by giving their consumers little-to-no time when discontinuing a product.

I already spoke with Mani Gopal, he's the current COO of Convatec's ostomy division and will be soon stepping down (which I think is the right move for the company). After gaining little-to-no more confidence in the company when speaking with Mr. Gopal, I then spent about 90 days trialing every ostomy product from their competitors that I could. Sadly, I CAN NOT find a manufacturer who makes flanges that stick as well as Convatec's. I think Convatec's got a unique ability to regain a great deal of the market share they've lost to Hollister and Coloplast in the last year, just by changing their approaches. But there are a lot of moving parts at Convatec right now and I'm not overly confident I'm going to get very far. There's a good chance I'll be submitting what I have prepared to the BBB later this Spring.
Last edited by sabresfan18 on 2022-04-23 10:41:58, edited 1 time in total.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

A big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this Topic. I find it shows just how discerning & pro-active people with ostomies can be in their own behalf. Bob, a big thanks for the Estena (sp?) information. Old & often discouraged as I am, I still like to follow new developments. Sabresfan18, you also have my thanks & respect for your direct actions.
The world needs more folks like you all! May God bless.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
John289

Post by John289 »

I have been using Convatec products for over 40 years with no major problems until 3 years ago, when I started experiencing intermittent leakage through the tail clip. I am using sur-fit drainable pouches (401934). I have been calling in, sending in pictures, trying to escalate this issue. I have been told that quality control will be in touch, but still waiting. Does anyone know if ostomy supplies fall under the 'jurisdiction' of the FDA? Would Medicare care about this issue? BBB? Any other agency?
Mara

Post by Mara »

viewtopic.php?t=27269

This has been discussed before, John289 in a thread you started two years ago....I guess you are still having the same issue....
As I said in that thread, I use the old style clip with that same pouch and don't have leaks....

I don't think that ostomy supplies fall under the jurisdiction of any governmental agency as far as their manufacture....

And sabresfan18, I agree with the others how impressive that you are getting an interview with those Convatec executives - hope you advise us of the outcome....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Ignore
Last edited by steiconi on 2022-04-23 21:42:25, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

I am not my disease.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

sabresfan18 wrote: 2022-04-22 19:47:33

Hi Lee,

When I click that hyperlink, it brings me back to this thread. Do you mind double checking it please?

Thanks in advance.
Oops. Try this one
viewtopic.php?t=27354
Lee

I am not my disease.
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

steiconi wrote: 2022-04-23 21:36:39
sabresfan18 wrote: 2022-04-22 19:47:33

Hi Lee,

Thanks in advance.
Oops. Try this one
viewtopic.php?t=27354
Appreciate you, Lee. Thank you.

I probably should have run a search and topped an old thread. However, this will be a good resource to supplement the research I've done.

Please keep the stories and feedback coming.
kittyridge

Post by kittyridge »

Please feel free to take my input along with you to your meeting:

I definitely noticed the decline in Convatec's bag from the old to the new, and am very disappointed that they seem to have favored cheaper made products/materials and larger profits to higher quality and better products. Seems like profits over people.

I didn't really notice my old bag, 51411310, which is how you want it. You want it to just work and not have to think about it. The filter always sucked, but that was about it.

The new bag, 51416417, seems inferior in the most important and crucial aspects. The invisclose is absolutely horrible. I find it has leaked about 4 out of 5 times when I empty the bag, creating a new worry and anxiety I never had with the previous one.

The fuzzy material on the new one is atrocious. If you have rough hands and dry skin, this horrible fabric material pulls out and fibers dangle and puff out, etc. After a day of emptying it 5 times or so, the rough skin on my hands has caught on, pulled, and shredded the fibers so that it looks like some shaggy feral cat has clung to my abdomen.

The filters on Convatec bags have always been bad, but the new bag has some how made it even worse. I don't think I've had a single filter work yet, because my bags start ballooning form the first day I put a new one on. The old one at least worked for a day or two before getting clogged, but this new one never even begins working.

The shape and size of the new bag, for me, are a detriment. This is a more subjective thing from person to person, but the old shape, size, and dimensions were so much better for me.