Relatively new ostomate questions about leakage

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
rbennatti

Relatively new ostomate questions about leakage

Post by rbennatti »

First..thanks to all for the great information you share. As a 71 year old retired chemistry/physics instructor I treat this new life like a science experiment. I try to change only one variable at a time, I keep a food log, etc. I did once get things to go 7 days before leaking....now I am only going 5 days before leaking. Next time i plan on replacing the unit on day 4. The leaks always happen out the sides...I have been wearing a belt. Standing or sitting the tightness is appropriate, when reclining it is loose. When replacing after a leak I use wipes to clean the area (Huggies 99% water and some aloe) then cavilon wipes, then stoma powder then more cavilon. Let dry and apply the barrier (having already installed the ring on the barrier, then attach the pouch and the belt....now some questions
1. I do have ample packets of adhesive remover...would leaving old adhesive adversely affect the adhesion
2, what is the best wipe to use...would the small amount of aloe (its only 99% water) have a negative effect. I have found one which is 99.9% water with a "drop" of grapefruit extract. I suppose I could just use paper towels and a spray bottle of water.
3, I use warm water to irrigate (clean) the pouch...could this affect the seal?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
To Dream a Dream

Re: Relatively new ostomate questions about leakage

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Welcome to our Discussion Board! And thank you for your timely post. Here is a link to a UOAA Ostomy Academy session scheduled for tomorrow evening: https://www.ostomy.org/ostomy-academy/ that may be able to answer many of your specific concerns. Please check it out.
As for leakage, there can be many variables including what type of ostomy you have, where your stoma is located, how much bowel you have left, etc.
I personally have an ileostomy type stoma with a severely shortened small bowel due to extensive surgeries. That makes my output continuous & very liquid. Fortunately, with the modern advances in ostomy appliances & general care, I have found products that under the best of conditions allow me to schedule my changes every 2nd or 3rd day.
I use an extended wear moldable Durahesive wafer system with an embedded ring with which to attach the pouch. Because of continuous output, I change in the morning in the bathtub as quickly as my aging dexterity will allow. Using plain water to clean the peristomal area & apply a barrier wipe before the new wafer. Then attach a pouch. I do cover the wafer afterwards with a Sur Seal made of very thin transparent material for a little added security & support.
As I mentioned, there are many variables & many options for you to choose from. I would caution against using paper towels simply because an ostomy nurse told me they often contain fiberglass. I use little 2in. by 2in. pure cotton squares available in the cosmetic section of Walmart, CVS type stores & find them very soft & absorbent. I also flush out my pouch with clean tap water whenever I empty it & have found no issues with the seal. I do keep adhesive wipes on hand, but try to avoid using them simply to save a step during my changes.
I hope my experiences give you some ideas & please, check out the link to the Ostomy Academy's upcoming session. I watched their last one & found it not only informative, but a real boost to my morale by reminding me that I am not alone.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
rbennatti

Post by rbennatti »

Thank you for the information...especially the ostomy academy and the caveat about using paper towels. I do have a supply of 4 by 4 inch gauze pads...I'll look into pure cotton squares. I have researched multiple sources and have yet to find any mention of trace amounts of fiberglass in paper towels...but the pure cotton does sound like a better idea.
Last edited by rbennatti on 2022-04-25 18:20:13, edited 1 time in total.
To Dream a Dream

You're quite welcome. The gauze pads are fine, also, but the cotton squares are a bit more cost effective.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

Welcome.
Don't use Huggies. Period.
Use adhesive Wipes to get all the old stuff off. Just adhesive Wipes.
If your taking a shower take some adhesive Wipes made for removing old adhesive in the shower with you. It's what I do.
You can gently feel any left with your finger around your stoma. If you feel any gently remove it with the adhesive wipe. You can feel and will know its all off. I do anyway.
Once I dry off I use a hairdryer on cold or no heat to dry the area. Then I put the Cavilon on. I usually don't put it close to the stoma. The Cavilon. But trying different ways is okay.
I use a ring but make sure I dry my stoma with tp gently. As to not get moisture from it under the ring as I put it over my stoma to my skin. Any moisture under the ring will break the seal in my experience. I put the ring directly on and over my stoma to the skin. Then you can see the placement. Never applied it to my wafer beforehand.
Then I put my wafer on. I also use a small mirror to get it centered as best I can. I use a cut end of a q tip to push down around my stoma to get it to stick to my skin. Then I put my bag on. I don't use any powder. Unless I have broken skin. Which is not very often.
Then to top off I sit for ten fifteen minutes with a heating pad over it all to get a "good stick". I can usually make it last 7 days. Sometimes I get a leak. At the crevive. Same spot every time. Usually from bending too much.
Sometimes on the day I change I can see it would last longer. But I change anyway.
If you have any questions about how I change feel free to ask.
Everyone finds a particular system or steps to put theirs on that works for them.
We are all different. It took me awhile to figure it out. But we do.
Definitely wouldn't use Huggies. All adhesive Wipes. And if you don't need it no stoma powder.
The less you can use the better. In my opinion. Which isn't much.
Good luck.
There are some who wish hey could get five days let alone seven days.
So your doing pretty good I'd say.
Richard.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Ostomies are a weird habit aren't they!
As stated above, finding what works best for you is always the key. Each ostomy is unique in its formation and behavior. I have a colostomy, so I'm able to irrigate daily to try and not have movements throughout the day...which is mostly successful. It's not 100%, but it's worth the time invested. That said, if you have a colostomy, you might check out the irrigation page....you'd really like the trial and error aspect of irrigation!
I'll answer your questions based upon my experience:
1. I don't use adhesive removers. Doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I remove the flange and get a shower without any equipment on. Again, I irrigate and have a colostomy, so unexpected output generally is not a concern, but if it happens in the shower, all the drains go to the same place! Warm water using ivory soap is pretty much all I need. I don't typically need a skin barrier or powder, so no real adhesive stuff to remove anyway. I do use part of a barrier ring, but it mostly comes off with the flange, and again, I can use warm soapy water to get off anything else. For best adhesion, you want a clean, dry surface for the new appliance to adhere to, so it's best to get off anything "old" before applying a new flange.
2. Again, I don't use wipes. You definitely want to avoid using products on your skin that contain perfumes or oils. A lot of bar soap has those things, that's why I stick with ivory. Wipes tend to have those things as well.
3. I've been using warm water to rinse out pouches for years now. Someone a long time ago said that it wasn't a good idea, but for me, it's been gold! It feels like I've got on a new pouch. Plus, I find that it adds time to my filters. Water is much less acidic than what is coming from the ostomy, so I never could figure out how it would be bad for the flange/adhesion.

I am a "less is more" ostomate, so I don't bother with powder or skin barrier unless the area requires some "healing" time. I use half of a ring to fill in a divot from the surgery, but other than that, dry, clean skin....for me, is the best bet for extended wear time.
After my showers on change days, I like to lay on the bed and let the skin around the stoma air out for 20-30 minutes. Then, once the flange and pouch are on, I'll lay on my stomach and watch tv for another 20-30 minutes to make sure I have a good seal with the new flange. Body heat helps the adhesive be more effective. In a rush, I'll use a hairdryer, but I like the relaxing without any equipment on my Wednesday nights!

Hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

They certainly are weird. But we get used to them. At least I did.
It just becomes part of you. Literally.
I agree with all you've said.
I emphasize adhesive wipes especially for myself and in my experience.
They just get all the gunky ring left behind after peeling off the flange.
Some of it gets hard and stuck pretty good. Most of the soft part left I can get off with tp.
I use a barrier skin protector mainly because I use convetec flanges with the white tape that circles the moldable part. If I get a leak I can certainly see it under the white tape immediately. Gives me a heads up I have a leak coming. But that's where I use the wipe to keep my skin from getting irritated from the tape. It gets wet from sweating and such.
As we've both said.
We all find the little things and steps that works for us. As individuals.
I had an ostomy nurse in the hospital that was nice. But all in all useless in the long run.
I figured it out myself.
I think I'd make a better ostomy nurse than she was. In fact an ostomy nurse should be someone with an ostomy. They or she never truly understood like someone who has one..
Just a side note and opinion.
Anyhoo.
Enough said. I'm happy with mine. Compared to what my life was before.
But if you knew me. I'd be the last person in the world who would think this is okay.
Most of us never thought we'd end up this way. But the thing works and works well.
As I said in my previous post.
If he is getting 5 days out of it. That's good. Really good. So it means he is doing it right.
To get back to seven days he has to see what is and isn't working. With every change you gain more and more information.
I used to change at 4 days. Then on the 3rd day. Thursday and Sundays. When I was working. I only did that to get a fresh one on before Monday and work.
Now I just try to change every Sunday. Trust me when I say sometimes I don't eve make it through Sunday. It leaks. But. I just go do it again.
When I change I just call it a potshot. You can't take it off and see if you did it right.
Sometimes I don't. It could leak at anytime.
Okay. I've rambled enough.
Richard.
rbennatti

Post by rbennatti »

Mysticobra wrote: 2022-04-25 19:03:15 Welcome.
By adhesive wipes what exactly do you mean.....adhesive remover?
rbennatti

Post by rbennatti »

First,I now see that adhesive wipes are adhesive remover wipes. Thanks to you all for the very generous sharing of your knowledge and your differing viewpoints, Its all been very helpful!
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

rbennatti wrote: 2022-04-27 14:41:02
Mysticobra wrote: 2022-04-25 19:03:15 Welcome.
By adhesive wipes what exactly do you mean.....adhesive remover?

Yes ... That's all I use.
I apologize if I was not clear on it.
I was just rambling.....
Richard.
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

rbennatti wrote: 2022-04-27 15:42:24 First,I now see that adhesive wipes are adhesive remover wipes. Thanks to you all for the very generous sharing of your knowledge and your differing viewpoints, Its all been very helpful!

Your very welcome.
I did mean the adhesive remover Wipes.
I read back and see how that would confuse even me.
Lol.
Richard.
To Dream a Dream

Richard: I agree whole heartedly with you about the Huggies because of advice I received & not from a human doctor, but from our vet who said that even the non-sting ones contain an irritant. Our poor little kitten had an infected anal gland & I had used a Huggie thinking they were good for babies. Poor kitty. Poor babies.
I wouldn't want one near a stoma. As stated, I use tap water with those soft little cotton squares. I heard Norma Gill, RN ET (the first official ostomy nurse) speak many many years ago at a regional UOA (Not a typo--the old UOA was the current UOAA's predecessor) Conference where she recommended plain water. I've used it ever since, except once post-op in a major medical facility when a know-it-all resident declared he would change my appliance himself. For the benefit of his entourage of med students. Needless to say, he failed & left in a huff for me to clean up a fine mess by myself with an IV secured very tentatively in my right wrist. (I have wretched veins. They finally had to use an ankle.) And a kind nurse brought me some 4 by 4s & a bottle of normal saline.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
tlippy

Post by tlippy »

I've been an Ileostimate for 15 years and getting by changing every 4 days. Eight months ago I started having leakage. Got rid of the Eakin seal and things got a little better. Two weeks ago I started leaking after 2 days. Sometimes every day. Using Coloplast 2 piece SenSura Mia (10503). Took 2 weeks but I hope I figured out a solution. 1. Remove the Barrier 2. Spray the stoma with water, wipe with toilet paper. 3. Use a ConvaTec "Sting Free Adhesive Remover (413500). 4.Lightly dust the stoma area with ConvaTec Stomahesive Powder. 5. Use soft toilet paper to lightly brush off any excess powder. 6. Fully open a ConvaTec Sting Free Skin Barrier(413501). 7. Lay the 413501 on top of the powder-don't do a circular motion. 8. Apply the Mia(10503). Fold one of the used adhesive remover's package into 3"s. 9. Use the empty package to press the down around the stoma. 10. Attach the bag. 11. Step over to the hair dryer and heat the appliance. 12. Lay belly down with a hand on top of the whole appliance on the bed for a couple of minutes. VIOLA No more leaks for 3 days-I hope
Ileo/April 2007
rbennatti

Post by rbennatti »

Hope this doesn't jinx things...but I have switched to Safe n' Simple Adhesive Remover Wipes....things last 5 days with no sign of leaks...would probably go longer but I don't want to temp fate. Thanks for all the advice/