Lots of Stoma Talk in the UK Press .

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
lolapergola

Lots of Stoma Talk in the UK Press .

Post by lolapergola »

Hi all , recently we have had a glut of people in the news having stomas . They have all had bowel cancer ,received pouches ,and are keen to raise awareness of what a stoma is .One outspoken person was Tracey Emin , an artist ,who has published pictures of her stoma in all it's glory .She has probably burned new ground in doing so ,and all credit to her .A few celebs have shown pix of their pouches/bags and given interviews about how it shouldn't be taboo anymore or hidden . When I got my stoma my stoma nurse wouldn't even show me a picture of what one looked like ! We've come a long way .
To Dream a Dream

Re: Lots of Stoma Talk in the UK Press .

Post by To Dream a Dream »

As a long-term ostomy recipient well-acquainted with the ignorance & often stigma associated with this condition, I genuinely applaud all who have overcome hesitations in spreading accurate enlightenment. These brave actions taken by folks in the UK may well reach outwards in widening ripples to touch many lives with the UOAA message of "You are not alone." And save many in the process. I am still haunted by the little child in Kentucky who was literally bullied to death by cruelty & indifference.
Yes, Lolapergola, we have come a long way & hope to go even further.
Thank you for this post.

PS: Have I posted that your avatar has been a bitter-sweet reminder of my late 'Snow Lion?' And that last October while visiting a local shelter, found a beautiful young snow lioness with gorgeous blue eyes in need of a home? As I type, she is settled contentedly in the bay window. Curled up in ole Fluff's favorite basket.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx