POLL ABOUT FLIGHT SECURITY SCREENING

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.

Which one of the following expresses your feeling about screening for airline travel

Full-body scanning is so intrusive that I will not travel and run the risk of having it done.
5%
I am very anxious about the possibility of having to undergo full-body scanning.
15%
I am somewhat anxious about the possibility of having to undergo full-body scanning.
15%
I am OK with the possibility of undergoing full-body scanning as long as my identity is protected.
20%
I an totally OK with the possibility of undergoing full-body scanning when I travel.
44%

Total votes: 415

Kristi7928

Re: POLL ABOUT FLIGHT SECURITY SCREENING

Post by Kristi7928 »

I'm in a wheelchair - I pretty much get a full body scan and a chair scan too. Takes about 30-45 minutes for me to go through security. I got lucky one time - they didn't make me take off my boots. I always do it in public. I'm new to the ostomy - I may choose a private screening as long as who's flying with me can go with. I want witnesses - I've read bad things about private screenings. :-/
kruzer1988

Post by kruzer1988 »

I travel almost every week through Midway airport in CHI. Most of the TSA agents know how this works. When they see on the scanner I have something on my side, I tell them it is an ostomy. I touch the area of the ostomy site. they swab my hands with the wand. I am on my way in 30 seconds.

IF you get someone who does not know what they are doing and want to see it. Demand a private room. Their supervisor (gender specific to your gender) must be present. Show them your bags that you may in your breifcase or purse. Show them you ostomy if needed AND THEN ask why their training was so poor! Thousands of us ostomy patients travel through the airport monthly. That usually shuts them up and gets you heading to the gate.

Only in South Korea did I have a real search go on. I was about to take off a bag that was filled with goodies and toss it on the table for them to see I was not packed with plastic explosives. The supervisor sent me on my way!
Darmf

Post by Darmf »

No problem
Urostomy due to bladder cancer 11/14/12
KimmeHammy

Post by KimmeHammy »

I recently went through airport security and was "pulled aside" and asked to consent to a "pat down"; and there on the monitor was my bag all lit up for the world to see! They asked me what it was and I told them and they asked if I'd "lift my shirt above my waistband, rub my hand across my abdomen three times and then place my hands palm up in front of me", which I did, and they went over them with a wand and let me go. It was odd but nothing too bad, and I would certainly rather the TSA air on the side of caution.
Bongle

Post by Bongle »

Oh I love it. The only way to get even with the TSA
Veganostomy

Post by Veganostomy »

I came back from a trip to Cape Town a few weeks ago and had to go through Toronto, Amsterdam and Cape Town security.

Amsterdam was the most involved and they required a full pat down, body scanner, asked questions about what was in my luggage, etc. Toronto and Cape Town were similar and I was only given a pat down when I told them about my ostomy. I did have my hands tested for explosive residue in Toronto, but that's fairly standard apparently.

None were evasive or made me feel uncomfortable, and the gent in Amsterdam asked if I wanted a private room for the pat-down.

It's really no big deal, and I would expect this type of diligence from airport security.
VeganOstomy blog - IBD, Ostomy, veganism, life.

www.veganostomy.ca
Mara

Post by Mara »

I was in Amsterdam Schiphol Airport two months ago and don't recall anything much, maybe a perfunctory pat down but no questions - I never mention my ileostomy and no security person has ever asked me.....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

I am TSA pre-approved which generally means I walk right through (except the time I had an armload of bracelets under my jacket ... whoops). The computer selected me for a full body scan last week after being on the other side of security. Apparently a few from the approved line get spot checked. So no big on the full body scan. I did have to wait for a female TSA agent to do a very polite pat down. No one mentioned the pouch, nor touched that area. I never mention the ileo and have never been asked about it. On a random bag check years ago I did ask the security person to NOT toss all the pouches and stuff around - she dropped those like a hot potato! :lol:
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

If I don't get TSA precheck, I get pulled aside for the pat-down every single time. EVERY SINGLE TIME.
I explain that it's an ostomy, they do the explosives check on my hands, and I go through. Did I mention it's every single time?
Even once when I had pre-check, I got chosen at random for a pat down and had to explain the ostomy.
And this is in Honolulu, where they're so backed up, they don't even make people take their computers out of their bags.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mara

Post by Mara »

steiconi, must be a Honolulu thing..... :evil:
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
lolapergola

Post by lolapergola »

I knew I was in for the worst this time as I'd read if you can't print off your boarding pass you've been chosen .True enough there were the 4 SSSS
marks on my boarding pass when they issued it at the airport .I was stopped at every stage , went through the scanner , nude o scope thing , my shoes were tested separately , then my wrists , waist band , hands etc .When I thought it all over they stopped me as I was boarding the plane and I had to open my carry on luggage for them to go through and wave their wand. Just as we were on the very last check when I thought they couldn't dream up anymore , she fingerprinted me as usual, but then said Oh we may have a problem with you .Thankfully ,they let me through .
On the way back it was a breeze .But if I ever see SSSS on my boarding pass I'll be wary !!!
MrMatt

Post by MrMatt »

FWIW, I do not want the additional radiation from screening. (Yes, there is radiation. How else do they scan.) I've had sooo very many CAT scans, etc., I do not want more radiation. I ask to be led around the machine (you can opt out), for a physical exam.
I wish the TSA taught it's people better about us ostomates. They are pretty clueless, sadly. One wondered if I was wearing a money belt...
MrMatt
1992 FAP, colectomy, J-pouch
2009 acute pancreatitis
2014 ileostomy
2017 Whipple
jasonb87

Post by jasonb87 »

I flew with my new ostomy for the first time around Christmas (2019). Out of Savannah, GA and into Laguardia (and then the return trip). Great experience. Very easy. I did not use the stealth belt or wrap, just a shirt covering so the security folks could easily see if they needed. They didn't. I told the TSA checker in Savannah about it and he wiped my hands down. Before he did I lifted my shirt to show the ostomy bag. He didn't need to see it apparently. As soon as is he wiped my hands down he told me to have a great day.
In Laguardia, their full body scan wasn't being used so they didn't even stop me to screen me. Flying for the first time with the ostomy (and without UC flaring) was terrific. Ready to do it again.
tlippy

Post by tlippy »

Personally, "I really don't give a damn". I have no embarrassment about my Ileo. I tell all friends and associates that I" shit in a bag ". That's guy talk. It is what it is.
Ileo/April 2007
mikeaita

Post by mikeaita »

if. they ask about my bag, I always ask if they want to look inside. they have never said YES