Pancaking sucks. What to do???

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ThatFLguy

Pancaking sucks. What to do???

Post by ThatFLguy »

Whenever my output is thick I deal with pancaking. How do you fix this issue??
I fart in your general direction!
steiconi

Re: Pancaking sucks. What to do???

Post by steiconi »

Is irrigation an option for you? If it works, you could pretty much say goodbye to random output.
Lee

I am not my disease.
ThatFLguy

Post by ThatFLguy »

I have an Ileostomy, so not an option.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I wonder if any answers exist. I've asked this of many long-term ostomates...

I had a colostomy and used to irrigate. Pancaking now with an ileostomy is a whole new ballgame and involves much laundry. Thank goodness for Tide and also Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove stains. I'll use puppy pads in bed and have a plastic liner under my sheet.

It MIGHT help to experiment with small amounts of Benefiber. Yes, that can thicken output but sometimes make the very loose output which can also get "stuck" at the top more manageable. I wish I had an answer. Every time I see a hospital bed or recliner in a catalogue, I wonder if I should replace my bed.

Have you tried Coloplast's Brava Lubricating Deodorant or similar product? It kinda sorta helps for a while...
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
ThatFLguy

Post by ThatFLguy »

What is worse is that because of pancaking and how my ileostomy is it is painful, I keep blowing through barriers unless I have so much extra tape strips around it, my skin is so itatated that it's bleeding, and I can't sleep because it just goes all night and I can feel everything it's doing.
sandys

Post by sandys »

I have an ileostomy an my stoma is almost flat so sometimes I deal with pancaking. I am also slightly overweight and carry it all on my belly. I use Convatec Durahesive convex wafer PLUS an Eakin Cohesive seal which I apply to the wafer NOT to my skin. Then after I get the pouch secured with the belt I apply pressure with my hand for a full minute.

I strongly advise you see an Ostomy/Wound Care nurse if you can’t get this issue resolved.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

I have an ileo.
All I can say is I avoid eating anything that slows it down or thickens it to cause the problem. If mine gets thick it's gonna go under the wafer and seal and it will cause a leak.
Which means of course I'll have to change.
I avoid.
Cheese
Mashed potatoes. Potatoes period. Boy. I miss mashed potatoes too.
Beans.
Peanut butter.
Probably more but that's off the top of my head.
All of those guarantees I will get a leak.
I try to eat things I know will just stay as liquid as possible.
Probably not much help as for suggestions.
But it's all I have. Drinking alot of water helps too. Which we should be doing anyway.
And following these food no no's for me has worked well.
I'm gonna say it. And now I'll have a leak. Lol. I hope not.
I don't worry about having a leak. At night or during the day.
I'm fortunate. One of the fortunate ones.
I do get leaks. But not from it being too thick.
Usually just from bending over too much. Picking things up. Just normal bending at the waist. It just break my seal sometimes.
But the foods I mentioned above in my case will bust a seal and leak because it piles up or pancakes as some say.
If I know it's starting to do that I'll rinse with water all the way to my stoma to get it out.
Richard.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

My situation is complex as I've 2 contraindicating conditions. One is the ileostomy. The other is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) in which my pancreas can't absorb fats. I take enzymes for the latter and when I eat dairy, it's lactose-free. My GI doctor gave me a prescription med for the ongoing flow as I'm supposed to eat 5 small meals daily which has been VERY hard for me. It's got more strength than Imodium which you're only supposed to take up to 2-3x/day (4 or 6 tabs). I try to hydrate but need to try harder. I get very gassy and also sort of follow the FODMAP food plan but it doesn't always work. (https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... ed-to-know) I do well with eggs and am going to try to make DIY egg bites (see Starbucks egg bites) but without onions and other foods that are off limits. :(

I have bought special pillows to keep me at an incline at night so the contents of my pouch (or irrigation sleeve which I sometimes wear although I no longer irrigate) will flow to the bottom -- but it doesn't. My stoma seems most active from 4 - 7 AM which disturbs sleep -- and I get so gassy, I can spring a leak. I'm seriously considering an adjustable (or hospital) bed to keep my torso raised up. Yes, they are costly. https://bedplanet.com/pages/our-favorit ... able-bases My cousin suggested cutting down the legs of my bed near my feet but how do I keep from sliding off? This has a solution. Other issues are tougher and when it's not so late, maybe I can help with more.

I agree that seeing an ostomy nurse is clearly a necessity for you! Yes, the Coloplast or other rings can help! Also Sureseals that swimmers/divers use are plastic shields that go over the barrier and help prevent leakage but don't help with pancaking.
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
ThatFLguy

Post by ThatFLguy »

One quick fix I found that works are to just fill my bag with water when I empty it. Then close it and slosh it around, It cleans better than the ostomy spray bottles that I have. As far as sleep, I still have no answer for that. Some nights I get two hours at a time, then others I am awake all night. I am going to try to get my meals back on track so I eat early in the day and only snack a few hours before bed so that my ostomy is not so active at night.
Messy

Post by Messy »

I find if I eat a big dinner I get pancaking. I suggest eat very light food for dinner avoiding any foods that thicken output. Have the bigger meal at lunchtime or in the morning.
Mjc

Post by Mjc »

My experience ; I have an illeo though-- When emptying your pouch open the end and let a tiny little puff of air into it. That way your output will slide down and not pancake around the seal. It does make it a little bit puffy but gravity and the weight of the output makes it slide down and the air stay up by your pouch seal. Also, if your pouch system has a gas filter - tape over it. The filter make pancaking worse.
Look for a better pouching system - it took me over 30 years of lousy fitting pouches to finally find THE one. Miro- deep convex one piece
Keep looking for the right system. There is one out there that will work for you.
ulcerative colitis - age24
total colostomy age 25, ileostomy for 40+ years
total hysterectomy