Must haves stuff Recommendations?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ThatFLguy

Must haves stuff Recommendations?

Post by ThatFLguy »

What are your go-to/Must-have ostomy accessories that you cannot live without?

Looking for ideas on stuff that people use all the time. I have looked at things like ostomy wraps, covers but most seem $$$.

Also, what do people store their monthly supplies in within a small apartment?

Lastly, How many people with an Ileostomy keep something like a Camelbak with them at all times?

It is getting hot and I already ended up in the ER the other day to get rehydrated.

Feel free to add anything else that is your go to.
I fart in your general direction!
ileo73

Re: Must haves stuff Recommendations?

Post by ileo73 »

For a one piece, curved ostomy scissors are a must

I use a plastic storage bin, lid on top, for my ostomy supplies. I figure if a leak ever gets in the closet, my stuff is protected

Never even heard of a Camelbak. When I lived in Phoenix, people who didn't know I had an ileo still gave me early warnings about staying healthy in the sun. Any time I was by a store that sold bottled water, I bought and drank, even if not thirsty.
ThatFLguy

Post by ThatFLguy »

ileo73 wrote: 2022-07-02 09:02:06 For a one piece, curved ostomy scissors are a must

I use a plastic storage bin, lid on top, for my ostomy supplies. I figure if a leak ever gets in the closet, my stuff is protected

Never even heard of a Camelbak. When I lived in Phoenix, people who didn't know I had an ileo still gave me early warnings about staying healthy in the sun. Any time I was by a store that sold bottled water, I bought and drank, even if not thirsty.

Camelbak is just a name-brand hydration bag/backpack that holds 1-3L of water.

I do have a good set of curved ostomy scissors (Thanks Coloplast for them in my sample bag)

I like the Bin idea and I have a bunch of them. I keep my supplies in my very small pantry right now (Not much space for anything else.) I have a small apartment so not much room.

There are quite a few things that I have found on Amazon that I think would be worth having but money is tight due to this summer heat and needing AC.
Mara

Post by Mara »

I don't really have any accessories- just what I use all the time - pouch, faceplate, Eakin seal, clip, Stomahesive powder, adhesive remover that I rarely use....Since I am an old timer with an ostomy I didn't have anything extra available back in the day so I got used to what I use....and never saw a need for anything new....I am sort of set in my ways.... :roll:

I keep one box of each item in a drawer in a bathroom cabinet and the rest of my supplies in a carton in the bottom of a closet.
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

As little as possible.
Wafers, pouches, scissors, paper towels, and irrigation supplies (bag, sleeves, clips).
I just got home from 5 weeks on the road; that's all I took. When traveling, I usually take about twice as many supplies as I would use at home in the same amount of time. I came home with lots of leftovers.

Storage is easier if you order more often. I keep the bulk of my supplies on a shelf in the bathroom closet, with a few in a basket where I use them.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mara

Post by Mara »

steiconi wrote: 2022-07-02 21:44:55 ......Storage is easier if you order more often......
Back in the day - quite some time ago - I waited until I used my last set of pouch, faceplate etc. to reorder....sort of living on the edge, I guess. But over the years I became more conservative. Sometimes items were not available because of bad weather - hurricanes or whatever...plus I remember another poster saying he had trouble getting supplies when he went on Medicare. I really haven't had any problems except sometimes my doctor didn't get the fax the company sent and my order would be delayed. Plus I got constant emails that it's time to reorder. So now I ended up having a huge amount in reserve.....
garbled modwit

Post by garbled modwit »

Rehydration can be a real problem for someone with an ileostomy - I have ended up getting re-hydrated a couple of times myself. The problem with drinking a lot of water is that unless you sip it and take it in slowly a lot will just come out of the stoma. Here's what I do: I make my own re-hydration solution as the ones you can buy are expensive, don't taste very good (IMO) and often have added ingredients. You have to use sugar and salt and this is a recipe from WHO. Ingredients: Six (6) level teaspoons of Sugar. Half (1/2) level teaspoon of Salt. One Litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled - equivalent to 5 cupfuls (each cup about 200 m)l. Actually I don't bother with boiling the water either. I'll sometimes make this with an Hibiscus tea bag. It is a bit of an acquired taste I admit, but you get used to it! As for the Camelback - I sometimes use something similar and this solution is what I put in it when I'm out on my bike or off hiking.
ron in mich.

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi flguy that solution GM described is called ORS ( oral rehydration solution ) i make that when i,m feeling really tired from my ilieo. having a stomach bug i also put a squirt of lemon concentrate in it for flavor.
doree

Post by doree »

My must have item is aerosol spray adhesive remover. Saves time and more importantly your skin. Its 15.00 on Amazon and it will last a long time.
tatly your skin!
ThatFLguy

Post by ThatFLguy »

Very good recommendations so far.

@Doree

I do get and use adhesive remover spray from my supplier.

@Garbled Modwit and @Ron In Mich

I use Gatorade as well as liquid IV now. I don't really care for the flavor of the Liquid IV but it does the job.

One big thing that I have been looking into is a shower cover as I seem to have issues with my barrier if I shower. I have been taking baths but trying to keep that area dry. I found a few covers online but some are $$$ and there is no review to speak of.

The last thing is, Do most of you keep an emergency kit with you. I am still at the stage where I take my whole kit with me everywhere and want to downsize what I carry around. (I have to have a bunch of other stuff due to urinary incontinence so it adds up fast)
Mara

Post by Mara »

My emergency kit has one faceplate, one pouch and one Eakin seal along with a plastic baggy for disposal. I always have a bottle of water and tissues with me. I once had to change after an unexpected - obviously - leak in a train station toilet - not a fancy one - in Japan. Another time I had to change in a very nice restroom which even had a sink in the Narita Airport in Japan - that was really nice. :D