National Park Access Pass

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
smeikle

National Park Access Pass

Post by smeikle »

Had anyone tried to get a lifetime National Park Access pass? I'm guessing that ostomates could qualify. Not sure.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/accessibil ... s-pass.htm
steiconi

Re: National Park Access Pass

Post by steiconi »

I got one a few years ago by filling out a form at a park. Questions were mostly about mobility. Things may have changed.
I don't think an ostomy qualifies as a disability, I have other problems.
Lee

I am not my disease.
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

I got the pass a few years ago, but didn't ask for anything other than an ordinary pass. I don't think of my ostomy as a disability. An alteration and occasional inconvenience, yes. But since I ski, sail, run, teach fitness classes .... Does anyone know the answer if an ostomy alone is considered a disability? (and yes, I could go Google it!)
smeikle

Post by smeikle »

I agree. I am more active with the ostomy then before for sure. I think it might qualify and if there is a chance of getting a lifetime national park pass for free, I'm all in.
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

I GOOGLED. Under ADA an ostomy can be considered a disability. Who knew?! I can see it as a potential issue at work for some. Never was for me but then I never told anyone at work. You can't tell by looking at someone usually. So I learned something!
https://www.ostomy.org/wp-content/uploa ... Update.pdf
Mara

Post by Mara »

I sort of recalled an ostomy is considered a disability. But as usual I agree with NEskier and I never told anyone at work. Even when I once had to take off some time because of a surgical revision - I had the doctor write my absence note in a way that said nothing....lol....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

By definition, an ostomy is a disability. I don't know what the "rules" are, but I look at disability passes for things like parks as something for folks with mobility impairments. My ostomy doesn't limit my ability to go into a park or hike a trail or go to work. I think passes for things like National Parks are for folks that require the use of a wheelchair or other ambulation devices whether they be permanent or temporary. That's just my two cents....
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/accessibil ... s-pass.htm says,
Pass may be issued to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of any age that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability (does not have to be a 100% disability) that severely limits one or more major life activities. Applicants must provide documentation of permanent disability and residency or citizenship.
Lee

I am not my disease.
darick

Post by darick »

Since I already have a placard due to bad leg, I was able to get a free lifetime park pass. If you show them a placard at the gate, its an easy process. If you dont have one, from what I've read about, you should still qualify, might just take more explaining to the rangers.
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-