Passing Gas??

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ThatFLguy

Passing Gas??

Post by ThatFLguy »

I cannot find a real answer to this online so I am going to ask it here...

Should you be able to pass gas from your butt with an ileostomy a full three months after surgery?

The reason for asking is that I have been farting a few times a day since taking a bath the other day and I feel sick leading up to it.
I fart in your general direction!
JerryNYC

Re: Passing Gas??

Post by JerryNYC »

Often, after removal of the rectum as part of surgery to form an ileostomy, the rectal incision does not close up for a while. It is not uncommon to have liquid drainage from this wound for some time. But the end of the digestive tract is now the stoma, which is formed by the end of the ileum passing through the abdominal wall. So, any gas you produce should pass out the stoma, since the colon and the rectum are now gone. I recommend that you talk to your surgeon about this. They may want do some imaging to see what is going on.
ThatFLguy

Re: Passing Gas??

Post by ThatFLguy »

JerryNYC wrote: 2022-07-22 20:35:45 Often, after removal of the rectum as part of surgery to form an ileostomy, the rectal incision does not close up for a while. It is not uncommon to have liquid drainage from this wound for some time. But the end of the digestive tract is now the stoma, which is formed by the end of the ileum passing through the abdominal wall. So, any gas you produce should pass out the stoma, since the colon and the rectum are now gone. I recommend that you talk to your surgeon about this. They may want do some imaging to see what is going on.
I still have my bowel and rectum as I have a loop ileostomy but the past few weeks have been the only time that I have felt like/had gas from my rectum. I do pass mucus but never gas with it. Even my IRL friend was kind of shocked when I said that I was having gas out of my rectum but felt that it was not something that never happens.

It is just very painful when it feels like that due to muscle and nerve damage that I have.
I fart in your general direction!