Colostomy wafer pectin sticks to skin

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Joyceefoster

Colostomy wafer pectin sticks to skin

Post by Joyceefoster »

I wear a two piece colostomy appliance that snaps together. During hotter months or whenever I am very active and sweating, such as hiking or playing tennis, the pectin on my wafer adheres to my skin due to the heat. When taking the appliance off, it’s so adhered to my skin that I have to use alcohol wipes to desolve the pectin from my skin to release the wafer. I’ve been very creative with my wafer when I have planned long hikes or long days in the yard that help me reduce this challenge such as using paper to cover half the pectin area but this is tedious. I’m hoping others in this group might have a product or appliance or tip/trick they can share that I Can look into so that the pectin doesn’t melt to the point of adhering to my skin. Any thoughts? Anyone else out there have this challenge?
ron in mich.

Re: Colostomy wafer pectin sticks to skin

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi Joyce i use a 2pc. system from convatec and when i get a residue buildup i use an adhesive remover wipe from convatec, if i have a stubborn wafer i just rub the wipe along the edge and my skin and you can peel the wafer right off.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Thanks for joining our Discussion Board. I also use a two-piece ConvaTec appliance with a moldable Durahesive wafer. I was recently introduced to Esenta sting free barrier wipes & adhesive remover & find them helpful. The barrier wipes exhibit protective qualities that have increased my wear time without excessive buildup. Having a severely shortened small bowel (with an ileostomy), this is a plus for me. Because Esenta is a fairly new product, you may be able to try samples from ConvaTec.
Again, thanks for your post.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

I've found that any adhesive remover wipe works well. I wipe at the skin and wafer as I pull the wafer down/off.