Dissolving barrier/wafer. Help, please.

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Emma

Dissolving barrier/wafer. Help, please.

Post by Emma »

My brother has an ileostomy. (ca two-months) The stoma protrudes ca. 1 inch. We have been using Hollister 2-pc Form Flex wafer/barriers.
The part of the barrier inside the plastic snap-together ring starts dissolving in a few hours.

We are currently using Cera rings under the wafer.

The WOC NP said to just change the barrier more frequently. I am currently changing the the barrier/wafer and pouch every other day, but to prevent getting stool under the wafer/barrier, it ought to be changed daily.

There must be a barrier/wafer that does not dissolve so quickly.

We have tried having the opening for the stoma be quite snug against the stoma up to 1/8" from the stoma.
The same with the Cera ring.

If you have some ideas about how to deal with dissolving wafer/barriers, I could really use some help.

Thank you very much.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Dissolving barrier/wafer. Help, please.

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I have a shortened small bowel due to two resections (for Crohn's Disease) circa 1960s & the complete loss of my colon, rectum etc. during surgeries in the seventies. The ileostomy I have is active & the effluent tends to be very liquid & irritating. I use ConvaTec's Durahesive Moldable Wafers, Esenta Barrier Wipes & Sure Seal Rings (Active Lifestyle Products, Inc.) I especially like the moldable wafers because you do not cut them to fit snugly around the stoma but roll them back (sort of like a sock) upon themselves. I have found Durahesive to give me longer wear time.
Because your brother has a relatively new ostomy, he may find it helpful to contact the major manufacturers directly to explain their individual products.
Thank you for joining our Discussion Board. Please continue to post.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Emma

Post by Emma »

@To Dream a Dream, thank you very much for your helpful post. I have been calling the major manufacturers and asking what they would recommend, so I am glad to read your recommendation to do that.

I am sorry you have had such rough health challenges come your way. You are a miracle.

Your set up of "ConvaTec's Durahesive Moldable Wafers, Esenta Barrier Wipes & Sure Seal Rings" sounds very good. Thanks very much for the details.

I appreciate your taking the time and effort to help. :)
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

For the most part, all of the flanges will dissolve over time. I don't know if some do so faster or not. I do (from years of use!) believe that the more output they see, the faster they dissolve. I have a colostomy and I irrigate, so my flange routinely doesn't get a lot of "abuse", and I can go a week between changes. However, when I do occasionally have output, I notice that the flange will not last as long, and gets "soft". I try to rinse out my pouch with warm water after I empty. This helps with filter life, cleans out anything that might cause odor, and makes it feel like a fresh new pouch. The water too will wear out a flange, but it doesn't stay in there very long! The water will also remove most if not all of the output that might be hiding under the edges of the flange. My only suggestion would to be to try different flanges and see if you can find one that gives you the most life. And, when he does have a bowel movement, rinse out the pouch with some warm water. Hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Emma

Post by Emma »

David, thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it. I will tell my brother about the rinsing, perhaps it will help. :)

We are experimenting with a different wafer/barrier and a different barrier ring.
Emma

Post by Emma »

We tried the Hollister New Image Cera Plus Skin Barrier Tape (do not know why it is named "tape") and an Adapt standard size Cera Ring.

Two days and it has not yet dissolved. (The Hollister FormaFlex were dissolving in 12-18 hours.)

Those Convatec Durahesive's that roll back sound nice. Hollister's barriers that roll back are not durable enough.