Dr. Appointment Frequency (How Often Should We See a Doctor)

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
SeaQuest

Dr. Appointment Frequency (How Often Should We See a Doctor)

Post by SeaQuest »

How often should we see a doctor in regards to our ostomies? Other than the obvious, I have no health issues so I don't see a doctor on any regular basis. This hasn't posed an issue till I attempted to switch providers for my ostomy supplies. They contacted the hospital/doctor who I last saw (in 2017), but the doctor refused to confirm that I still have my ostomy. No ostomy = no supplies. The supplies provider let me know they wouldn't ship till I see a doctor to make certain I've not seen some shade-tree doctor and fixed myself :? . When I called to get an appointment with the doctor, they stated that I must first see a primary care provider. I don't mind seeing a doctor, but it would be nice to know how often this is required to satisfy the needs to have my needed supplies shipped to me. How often are we supposed to see a doctor?

Thank you!

SeaQuest
Colectomy with Permanent Ileostomy - July 2013 (due to Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)
Mara

Re: Dr. Appointment Frequency (How Often Should We See a Doctor)

Post by Mara »

I don't see a GI doctor or surgeon about my ostomy - I have had it for decades. My primary care doctor signs the fax or whatever the supply company sends for my supplies - I believe, at least with Medicare, it's good for a year.
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Like Mara, my supplier just checks with my pcp.

Most pcps seem out of their league with ostomies and are more than happy to approve whatever I request, so long as I don't expect them to figure out how to fix any ostomy problems.
Lee

I am not my disease.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

I see my surgeon once a year for check ups, but my PCP is the one who signs my scripts for all ostomy supplies.
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
SeaQuest

Post by SeaQuest »

Thank you all. I guess I just need to schedule an appointment with a new primary care physician. The supplies provider had gone 5 years without an updated letter so I guess I got lazy. I appreciate the responses!
Colectomy with Permanent Ileostomy - July 2013 (due to Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)