prep for a colonoscopy

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Nancysue

prep for a colonoscopy

Post by Nancysue »

Read some old posts on this subject but am still unclear. Do I need to swallow the bowel prep med and also do my regular irrigation process? Or does taking the bowel prep med, alone, suffice?
ot dave

Re: prep for a colonoscopy

Post by ot dave »

The prep will more than clean you out enough. No need to irrigate after the prep.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
dnvrdave

Post by dnvrdave »

I was hoping that irrigation could be done instead of taking the oral bowel prep. I’m waiting to hear what my GI doc says. But are you saying I’ll have to do the oral bowel prep?

Should I just sit by the toilet with the irrigation sleeve on after taking the prep? I’m quadriplegic so I can’t empty the sleeve myself. Also, I will have to sit on a shower commode wheelchair because I have a loop colostomy and some could bypass the loop. I (my nurse) will probably irrigate down, since I haven’t irrigated in a couple years, and there is always stool in the rectum (irrigating is easier and safer than digging it out). It’s an end colostomy.

Would it make sense to irrigate (up) before the prep kicks in, to make the job easier? I think you are saying no.
Jan 2014 Permanent Loop Sigmoid Colostomy; 1985 C6 quadriplegia with suprapubic urinary catheter.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

I don't know about the particulars with a loop, but the bowel prep is very effective on its own to empty out the colon. No need to irrigate. You'd just spend time that you don't have to on the irrigation. And yes, I would just stay on the toilet with the irrigation sleeve on in your situation. Take something to do/keep you busy....you'll be there a while...
Hope that helps.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Some doctors don't scope both...um, openings...for ostomates unless you ask.

The oral solution is much more thorough than irrigating.
Lee

I am not my disease.