Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
sabresfan18

Re: Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

Post by sabresfan18 »

I have not forgotten about you folks; I am navigating a graduate program on top of 40-50 hour work weeks. Sorry for my delay.

I will loop back soon to discuss Bruno and my meeting.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

sabresfan18: No apology necessary. Am sure many of our board users appreciate your efforts in our behalf. Your schedule must be grueling. Please take care of yourself & report at your leisure.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

To Dream a Dream wrote: 2022-09-05 10:46:41
As far as I can figure, the pouch rings are made to just grab the upper edge of the wafer ring. (Does that make any sense?) And if aligned perfectly, they will hold. I always test them by snapping them together manually before I attempt a change (I've learned over the years), but even that precaution does not replicate that of attempting attachment to a squishy belly.
As for the spout opening, I try to keep it as dry as I can with toilet tissue to deter leakage. Which does occur unfortunately.
I irrigate, so don't have much output. I snap the pouch on, making sure I get the click. Nowadays, I check them constantly. Most of them are fine until I remove them, but about 1 per box, 10%, unsnap just a tiny bit. When I discover it and press, I hear the click again. It's not that they are harder to attach, I can practically do that in my sleep.

And the tail leaks are similar. They're properly fastened and checked over and over, but just a few (again, maybe 10%) let out enough to smell. I tried washing the pouch (I do that all the time, let them dry and they're fine) and trying again, but that pouch will leak again.

Incidentally, I emailed my supplier, 180 Medical (which is owned by Convatec), about the problem, asked if there was another pouch option, and requested a sample of the stomahesive wafer. They called while I was away from the phone and blah blah blahed, then finished up by saying "just call if you need anything!" No mention of my requests.
Sigh.

I emailed again, with just the requests.

Update: a convatec employee called. She asked questions that seemed kind of aimed at blaming usage instead of product for the issues, like, "Do you wear your pouch vertically?" and "Do you empty your pouch when it's half full?"

She didn't really apologize or take any responsibility or offer replacements for faulty product. I asked for sample of a couple of things, and she said she'd send one of each.
SIGH.
Lee

I am not my disease.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Just one more comment...
I get supplies from 180 medical, which I understand is owned by convatec. They mess up my order about 1/3 of the time. This month, they combined two different upc codes to put a whole new item on the list, while omitting the 3 items between.
Fortunately, someone called about the "new item", and we reviewed and fixed the whole order...except it just arrived, and they sent twice as many pouches than I ordered. I worry that's going to be a problem for me when the new medicare watchdogs review the order. I don't want to have to pay full price for something I didn't order that would be fully covered if they hadn't sent too many.
What IS the Medicare max for pouches, anyway? This works out to 20/month, which might be ok...
Lee

I am not my disease.
darick

Post by darick »

This is the useless response I got from ConvaTec.
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-
Chelly

Post by Chelly »

This explains a lot! I too have issues but with that durahesive. It is nothing but a sticky, gooey, waxy freaking nightmare! It absorbs fluid ok? Turtleneck if they call it but you leak around the stoma and the rest of the pouch is melted and stuck on like cement. I have ileostomy and very active one at that. I pancake so I do rinse. This equals the sticky situation. You can’t get this stuff off after it builds up! It melts to my skin. It was in there like cement and removed with hair conditioner of all things. It gets on EVERYTHING!!!! No option to have stomahesive with that particular pouch. Also I balloooned a few times at night but no big deal but it was surprising for me to see the Barrier split from a one peice pouch. I never saw anything like that before.
Why on earth would they make adhesive that absorbs fluid knowing that most ileostomy have fluid output and knowing that this stuff turns to goop after it absorbs too much. Not to mention they know a lot of folks rinse as well. I’m sorry but stomahesive is the bomb!! I loved it but convatec does not give us the choice on most pouches.
I sadly had to go to a different company and a different pouch.
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Hi all,

Happy Holidays. Apologies for not being in touch and that some of you continue to struggle with Convatec's new products. Bruno + his team continue to communicate with me; Bruno reached out to me yesterday looking to schedule a phone call. They are looking to change and improve things. I will do my best to keep you all in the loop re: what I hear.

Everyone have a nice holiday season.
To Dream a Dream

Thanks for your update & your holiday season greeting. I'm so sorry that the problems continue. I've used Convatec products for many years. Hopefully, there will be a resolution soon.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you an update -- Convatec has gone a bit radio silent. I have reached out to COO Bruno again to see if we can continue communications. I know many Convatec users are suffering from the company's shortcomings in developing adequate products; I'm hoping to see where they're at on fixing that.

Thanks.
JerryNYC

Post by JerryNYC »

I have been using Squib/ConvaTec products since the late 60s -early 70s. They were a godsend advance beyond the heavy rubber, reusable pouches I had previously used immediately after my colectomy and ileostomy in 1963 (for ulcerative colitis). More recently the pouches have emitted a foul odor after about 1-2 days of use. (I unfortunately did not keep track of the pouch identification numbers. But I cannot say whether this issue has developed because of a change in the materials used to manufacture theses pouch or a change in my body's physiology. Based on the previous comments here, I suspect that the change in pouch materials seems more likely.
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

JerryNYC wrote: 2023-06-06 20:13:30 I have been using Squib/ConvaTec products since the late 60s -early 70s. They were a godsend advance beyond the heavy rubber, reusable pouches I had previously used immediately after my colectomy and ileostomy in 1963 (for ulcerative colitis). More recently the pouches have emitted a foul odor after about 1-2 days of use. (I unfortunately did not keep track of the pouch identification numbers. But I cannot say whether this issue has developed because of a change in the materials used to manufacture theses pouch or a change in my body's physiology. Based on the previous comments here, I suspect that the change in pouch materials seems more likely.
Hi Jerry,

Yes, it has been confirmed with both Bruno (COO) and their R&D team that they are unable to utilize the same materials in their pouches that they previously did. I experienced the same issue (foul odor being emitted within hours of putting the bag on). I also had significant skin reactions to the new liners they are using.

I've met with the Convatec COO of the Ostomy division a couple of times and it has been extremely rewarding. I am hoping communication picks back up again, as I continue to be extremely unhappy with the Coloplast products I was forced to transition to.
To Dream a Dream

Thank you for your update to the UOAA Discussion Board. As you know, our members are always appreciative of hearing from those who have taken the initiative in contacting major manufacturers regarding their product lines. Am sure your posts have continued to be a great help to many. Please continue to offer your experiences & valuable feedback.
You raise a good point in this post. Having utilized ostomy supplies over these many many years, I find it is easy to limit ourselves to one favorite product. Your willingness to try something by another manufacturer has provided you not only with a good basis for comparison, but also opens the door to constructive dialogue. Thank you for sharing your insights candidly.
In a world fraught with insecurity & negative reactions, we need those willing to take positive effective steps.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Good morning friends,

Dream a Dream, I agree, and have raised this issue with Bruno numerous times. This thread is a testament to how Convatec patients are suffering in silence. And many of them are staying with the brand because it's all they know or they lack the resources to research other products that would adequately meet their needs.

I am happy to share that Bruno emailed me back this morning. It sounds like they are busy at Convatec, and hopefully, that means there is some relief in sight for their patients.

Bruno would like me to travel to Boston to meet in person -- that will not be possible until at least December when I finish my degree. But I will continue to try and keep an open conversation with the company to give you some hope regarding product improvement.

As always, if anyone is struggling with their Convatec ostomy products and feels they need help or support finding a provider to help them switch to another company's products, please feel free to private message me. I am happy to help you find a provider or offer resources on competitors' products.

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

Be well.
To Dream a Dream

Your news is encouraging! Please continue your dialogue with ConvaTec. I've found over the years, that problems can often be better addressed when all parties involved have been privy to accurate meaningful information. Thanks as always for your diligence. And my own best wishes for the completion of your degree.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

To Dream a Dream wrote: 2023-06-12 15:23:31 Your news is encouraging! Please continue your dialogue with ConvaTec. I've found over the years, that problems can often be better addressed when all parties involved have been privy to accurate meaningful information. Thanks as always for your diligence. And my own best wishes for the completion of your degree.
Thanks so much for your kind words; you've been a wonderful source of support and encouragement throughout this thread. I firmly believe that within healthcare these days, if you don't advocate for yourself, no one will. So I will continue advocating for myself and this community, as I am aware that many of us vary in ability to do so.

With that said, I am happy to share with you that Bruno (COO of the Ostomy division) and I have a video meeting setup for June 28th. I'm looking forward to continuing our discussion. Specifically, I'd like to discuss their current focus on patient support programs that involve decreasing the stigma of having an ostomy. However, I feel they are putting the cart before the horse with these programs because their current line of products is not reliable enough for patients to benefit from the goals and objectives of their programs. I love that they're looking to increase discussion around social, mental, and sexual boundaries that ostomy patients experience. But without a robust product line that offers them comfort, I feel they're chopping these patient support programs at the knees.

Have a nice weekend, friends.

Be well.