Question for anyone whose bum has been sown up

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

This might be a bit weird. But every now and then I get an itchy bum. If I itch it through my boxer shorts, it smells (yes I will smell it) the same as it used to before my operation.
Which is weird because there's been no poo there for 10 years
SeaQuest

Post by SeaQuest »

I've noticed the same thing (though I won't admit to purposefully smelling it :oops: ). What I found was that the smell typical for your bottom is not just from feces. You have an enclosed space with little air circulation, hair, rubbing of skin, sweat/moisture, etc.... A properly cleaned bum should smell much like an armpit so maybe that tells you that you were doing a good job of cleaning it as the smell is now similar as before your operation.
Colectomy with Permanent Ileostomy - July 2013 (due to Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)
Chelly

Re: Question for anyone whose bum has been sown up

Post by Chelly »

When I went to my surgery follow up after my proctocolectomy they told me I had like an indented tight area where I was sewn up in my bum. I was told to clean well in that area and to buy a hand held shower head so that I could get it cleaned and rinsed good. Every now and then when I’m in a hurry I don’t always place enough time to do that. It will burn and itch like yours. I wonder if that might be the issue for you as well.