Rectal pressure

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Katiescarlett

Rectal pressure

Post by Katiescarlett »

I'm four weeks out from getting a colostomy. I had pelvic floor dyssynergia which left nasty hemorrhoids, one prolapsed externally. My Dr. said the hemorrhoids would shrink and white mucus I excrete every day would dry up. So far, it feels hemorrhoids are getting worse, feeling like a pressure internally and before the ostomy, I could push the prolapsed hemorrhoid in. Now it won't stay in. I don't have any bleeding, but this pressure in the rectum and the hemorrhoids was the reason why I had the operation.
Does anyone else have pressure? My Dr. doesn't want to deal with it and I really don't want another surgery to remove my rectum. I've also used the hydrocortisone suppositories, but feel they are not working.
luvmyileo

Re: Rectal pressure

Post by luvmyileo »

I have diversion colitis. It causes stomach cramps, smelly rectal leakage, and a throbbing, painful rectum. I'm now on my 3rd round with antibiotics and steroid suppositories. Have you got any relief?
Bruce E

Post by Bruce E »

My digestive system condition is similar to yours plus more. It's been several months since your post. Has anything changed? I suffered from "Defecation Dyssynergia" before I could get my Ostomy and suffer from the mucus issue.
I unfortunately can't get the rest of my colon removed because of other issues.
Using "Mini Glycerin Enemas" works for me but are very painful.
Chelly

Post by Chelly »

Rectal pressure was a huge symptom for me along with severe consolation before my ileostomy. I also had pressure on my female area. I can remember telling doctors that I felt like I had a 100 pound weight pushing down on me. The only thing I can compare it to is childbirth. It was so painful and then I would get rectal spasms which were also very painful. I would lie in bed praying to god to please make it stop. I went on for 4 years that way not getting help other than laxatives and pelvic floor therapy until I switched hospital systems. I was literally begging for a bag.
They did a temporary ileostomy on me as a trial to see how I would do. I was much better but because I still had my colon I was packing up with hard mucous balls. After 2 years of the temporary I went all in for a proctocolecomy. Took out my whole colon and rectum. Had him take out my appendix while he was at it and went for the end ileostomy. I can say this… I have no more constipation or pressure down there.
We all have to make the decisions that are right for us.
Chelly

Post by Chelly »

Wanted to mention that intestine can get trapped in the pouch of Douglas as well. I told my surgeon before my last surgery to check that because I saw it online lol! But anyhow he said yes there was some troped in there and I asked did you fix it? He said I just pulled it out and threw it aside hoping it won’t make its way back in there. But he was so surprised that I asked him to look and that indeed it was there. I had an ileus before my ileostomy and I read a case study a women who had that.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I didn't know that so many of us here suffered from pelvic floor syndrome or anorectal dyssynergia or non-relaxing puberactalis muscle. I'm seriously thinking about writing a book about my GI journey because so many sources claim that biofeedback is the answer and it may NOT be. It wasn't for me and I tried it in Chicago and Canada. If anyone wants to tell his/her story, please let me know.

I DID have my anorectal canal removed because of diversion colitis when my surgeon switched my colostomy to an ileostomy. It was a tough surgery but I'm very glad I had the procedure. I don't know if KatieScarlett is still reading but that's my $.02. I agree with Chelly about the decisions we each have to make. Not always easy but in retropect, this was a good one.

Be well!
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed