Pain where stoma used to be after reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Dave383

Pain where stoma used to be after reversal

Post by Dave383 »

Hello, I am new to this group and it’s so nice to read comments from folks going through some of the same things physically and mentally that I have been enduring over the past 13 months.
Last year I had emergency surgery do to a perforated colon. It was unexpected and caused from diverticulitis. They took about 10 inches of colon and gave me a temporary
Colostomy. Due to sepsis, I spent a long time in the hospital and had an additional six weeks of home nursing after I got home. My surgeon is one for waiting at least a year before reversal. So at the one year mark I had the reversal procedure. That was 8 days ago. The initial 2-3 days were pretty miserable , I’m not gonna lie. But I went home very quick and everything is working great, little to no pain except for the area where the stoma had been. It has been folded and stapled. It started hurting terribly the second day I got home and hasn’t stopped. Some days are a little better, and some days are intense.

That is the only area I am experiencing any issues. Is this a common thing ?
Just wandering if anyone else is or has experienced this. It feels like a sharp stabbing pain at times and then backs off to a miserable aching throb.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Rrg 4 Her

Re: Pain where stoma used to be after reversal

Post by Rrg 4 Her »

Hello!
I am new to this posting business. I was similar in that bowel perforation caused by diverticulitis left me with sepsis and colostomy. That was Memorial Day 2023. Now 2 weeks ago I had it reversed. I swear the pain now is more than the pain was in the hospital. While I wouldn’t wish pain on anyone, I am glad I’m not the only one. Your pain description is how I’m feeling now. How is your pain (or hopefully lack thereof) since your post in February?