Calcium Oxalate Present in U/A

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
To Dream a Dream

Calcium Oxalate Present in U/A

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Has anyone experienced this? My PCP seems to dismiss it as my being dehydrated & advised increasing my intake. Although I have been cautioned about oxalates over the years as a danger for ileostomates, I have never actually had them show in a uranalysis report.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
jstl

Re: Calcium Oxalate Present in U/A

Post by jstl »

I haven't experienced it (although I have had kidney stones). Maybe this would be interesting to you:
https://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/chapt ... ey-stones/
The first part of the chapter addresses calcium oxalate in urine with colon removal
To Dream a Dream

Thank you so much! I've added your link to my Favorites & copied the list of patient inquiries & Dr. Coe's replies. Although the book excerpt is a little beyond my scope, I was able to absorb enough of its content to prepare me for an upcoming appt. next week with the PCP's resident in training. I found the info on Bicarbonates as a recommended med especially of interest as I suddenly remembered my favorite former gastroenterologist had given it to me many years ago. Unfortunately, it became lost over time in the shuffle of staff physicians. As has my confidence in the profession. Dr. Coe brings back happier memories for me. Thank you again for your post.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
jstl

Post by jstl »

Isn't it wild that we , as the patients, have to know the exact questions to ask in order to get the information we need --and that it's our responsibility to educate our physicians? After 49 years (!) I get tired of being my doctors' ileostomy 101 course.
To Dream a Dream

I second that. Thank God for our UOAA & their advocacy measures. I just presented my GI NP with a packet of UOA information & soon after received notification that she was leaving this month. Hopefully, she can pass it on to patients in her new location.
Thanks for your posts. Reminding me of those of 'Button' (Karen). I'm sure you help many who read them.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx