Hernia operation and stomach ??

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
trixiemom

Hernia operation and stomach ??

Post by trixiemom »

I haven't been on here in years but now I have a question... sorry this is going to be kinda long..I have had my ileostomy since early 2012..I have had total of 5 surgeries.. 2 we're for hernias,.a total of 6 hernias....my first 3 we're done all in 1 operation..my last one (January 23 )they found 2 more small ones along with the one I needed repaired. They did it robotically spent over 4 and a half hours ( lots of adhesions) he said he was not going to do anything with my stoma ( it was perfect it worked stuck out just right even with the hernia) I woke up to a flat belly ( did not look 6 months pregnant on one side) and my stoma is now an innie. It looks like a red bullseye completely flat..they had a non convex wafers on ...I changed it when I got home to a convex wafer ( I accidentally ordered a convex glad I did) my skin is aweful...please tell me that when the swelling goes down It will pop out a little...I already in the past had to have a Revision due to it being stenosis surgery number 4...I see the surgery next week.....please I need suggestions....thank you in advance
Ileo since 2012, christian ...no longer vegan went carnivore 2022...5 surgeries d 6 hernias
To Dream a Dream

Re: Hernia operation and stomach ??

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Dear Trixiemom: I am so very sorry to learn of your post-op difficulties. I had a stomal revision way back in 1985 & can identify with you. It's a very frightening experience when dealing with such a situation. Mine was so swollen from a post-op obstruction; it looked like a dark purple goose egg. Fortunately, the swelling did subside & I was able to manage it again.
Do you have a WOC Nurse to contact? If so, that is a huge plus. They would know what to expect & have had experience in dealing with your specific situation. As would a competent surgical nurse practitioner. Consider asking your surgeon's office for a referral if you don't.
I just did a quick search of our UOAA website for some information & came up with this link: https://www.ostomy.org/search_gcse/ Hopefully, it will guide you through this.
I've also found the manufacturer of my skin care barrier to be knowledgeable. Most of the major companies have contacts to explain their products & may have more practical suggestions.
It's good to see you posting again. Please continue to visit our Board. Know you are in my thoughts & prayers during this frustrating time.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
trixiemom

Post by trixiemom »

Thank you....I see the surgeon on Friday...my skin is healing as I know how to fix that but the idea is why...it worked even with my hernia why pull it down and make it flat and flushed
Ileo since 2012, christian ...no longer vegan went carnivore 2022...5 surgeries d 6 hernias
To Dream a Dream

I am glad you are able to protect the skin & see your surgeon on Friday. They should be able to explain why they performed the surgery & the result. Please continue to use this Board for updates & the UOAA website for more information.
Thank you for posting.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
To Dream a Dream

Trixiemom: Just caught your post on another forum where you mention the need of having your own supplies with you in hospital. That is a great point to pass along to all our readers. In all the years of having an ostomy I have always needed to have my own equipment at hand in house. You cannot rely upon the facility having anything you need. From pouches & wafers to cleanup wipes & tape. I have an emergency bag packed with items including a small emesis basin to hold clean water & spare plastic bags for waste removal. And be prepared to do your own appliance changes without assistance. A daunting task postop, especially if you have IVs in your wrists. Take nothing for granted. If you have a person you can depend upon to accompany & help you, consider yourself blessed.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx