Challenging situation for aunt w hernia

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ileo73

Challenging situation for aunt w hernia

Post by ileo73 »

My aunt is 76 and got her ileo 30 years ago.

She now has a hernia that’s apparently causing a very wet stoma - bag has to be changed twice a day. Stoma is also swollen.

She’s not a candidate for hernia surgery.

Anything she can do to get stoma under control?

I’m plumb out of ideas and I’ve had my ostomy for 50 years (including 2010 revision)
jstl

Re: Challenging situation for aunt w hernia

Post by jstl »

Have you looked into Coloplast Mio pouches? They’re made to be flexible follow contours to get a decent seal
When there are dips and bulges. You can get a free sample.
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

I forwarded the info.

Not sure it'll help with wet stoma and she may not be up for trying new systems but couldn't hurt to send the idea

Thanks!
Chelly

Post by Chelly »

Try deep convex Coloplast sensura mio pouch and a Hernia belt from new hope.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Please consider contacting the major manufacturers to address her issues. https://www.ostomy.org/product-supply-information/
Here is a link to the UOAA WEBSITE that may provide suggestions. The website offers much information & includes a Search feature. https://www.ostomy.org/search_gcse/
Hoping this may help.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
JerryNYC

Post by JerryNYC »

A swollen stoma suggests that the hole in the wafer may be cut too small and is pressing on the stoma. If that happens, the increased pressure on the stoma make cause even more swelling. So she needs to cut the hole so that there is more visible space between the stoma and the inside edge of the wafer. This space can be filled in with a barrier ring that fits right to the edge of the stoma. These rings are relatively soft and malleable and do not injure the stoma when they press against it. I cut the barrier ring in half to form 2 half moons before I press it on; I find that I can't it close to the stoma when I do so. I also use a spray of "SafenSimple skin barrier film" and let it dry before I apply the wafer for stronger adhesion.