ileostomy

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
paula

ileostomy

Post by paula »

Hello everyone, I have an ileostomy and change my appliance every 4 days. Just wondering if there`s anyone who goes longer than this. Am afraid to go longer, because of the skin around the stoma.

Thank you for your input.

paula
NEskier

Re: ileostomy

Post by NEskier »

When I was working in an office I usually stuck to four days. I didn't EVER want to deal with more than emptying there. And no one there knew about my ileo. Once I retired from that (I teach Pilates now) I started letting it go longer. Definitely five, often six days. I do fill the slightly eroded part with Stomahesive paste so the skin isn't exposed. I have no idea if that helps but it does make me feel better! Honestly, based on the usual condition of the flange when I remove it, I could go a week.

Others here should add their experience. As always, YMMV!
paula

Post by paula »

Thank you so much for your reply. I definitely feel like I go more days.
Mara

Post by Mara »

I often change once a week - sometimes more frequently if I feel I am going somewhere and don't want any issues - not that I have many leaks but better safe than sorry. And when I travel away from home - that is, at least an overnight trip or flying I will change before I leave....
I use an Eakin seal so that usually fills around the stoma okay....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

I do twice a week.

I figure even if the ostomy will hold more than four days, I don’t want to let any skin mischief have that long to develop.

And by having a regular weekly schedule, I’ve got more control over when and where I change.
paula

Post by paula »

Thank you all for your input. Its greatly appreciated.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Because I have an ileostomy (performed after extensive small bowel resections), I have very corrosive effluent from the stoma. Necessitating more frequent changes. Getting two or at best three days out of an extended-wear wafer. I also use a barrier wipe to protect my peristomal skin beneath it. And reinforce the wafer with a Sure Seal Ring (ordered thru Parthenon.)
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I also have an ileostomy and change at least twice/week but that's because I also have a pancreatic condition that can result in diarrhea. It probably would be best if I changed 3x week. Leakage can mean a lot of laundry and I want to avoid that more in the future! I also use a seal, stomahesive strips, and a Sure Seal Ring which I'd definitely recommend.

Good luck!
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
paula

Post by paula »

Thank you for your response, its greatly appreciated.