Abdominal Burning Pain after Ileostomy takedown

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Mbamtx1203

Abdominal Burning Pain after Ileostomy takedown

Post by Mbamtx1203 »

Hello. I'm new to this board and looking to learn from other's experiences. I had my ileostomy takedown a week ago. My original surgery was due to years of diverticulitis and a perforation. I was in the hospital for 5 days waiting for things to kick in but they did and now I have been home for 2 days. I haven't had a bowel movement since I've been home from the hospital so going to take miralax today. But the new symptom I'm having which is concerning me, which started the first day home from the hospital, was a extreme burning pain in my abdomen (internal not surgical site) on the right side of my body around where my stoma used to be. The burning pain has now been growing and is worse day 2 at home than the day before. I am taking 1000 mg of Tylenol/3X a day and also have Tramadol for pain as needed every 6 hours. In the hospital, I stopped pain meds after 3 days other than Tylenol and Tramadol at night and have been continuing this at home. Today, I took one during the day to see if it would help the "burning" pain but it isn't helping. Could this be an infection? A hernia? An obstruction? I'm also very very swollen. Eating low fiber, low residue diet in small increments and drinking plenty of water. Anyone experience something similar? I'll call my surgeon tomorrow but looking for some insight. Thanks in advance for your help!