ConvaTec #421738 Pouches

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
To Dream a Dream

ConvaTec #421738 Pouches

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Just a quick update on my own experiences with these 'new' pouches. I have been experiencing much less leakage at the corners of the 'velcro'-type closure if I remember to do the following. Be sure I have completely dried the plastic pouch spout before I roll & secure it. Also, carefully aligning the 'velcro' strips together avoiding leaving any 'lumps' in the process.
I also experienced problems with snapping the pouch to the wafer. Attributing my unsuccessful attempts to encroaching old age. Previously I had always snapped & re-snapped the clean wafer & pouch together three times before attempting my appliance change as a sort of trial run. But these newer pouches fit much more snuggly to the wafer ring. If I make sure I snap the two appliance pieces together six or seven times before a change (before their actual attachment to a squishy uncooperative abdomen in the tub), I hear that required series of sharp clicks & seem to have less of a problem.
I hope this is of help & wonder if any readers have more of their own feedback to offer. Having dealt with many changes in ostomy products & their design over the years, I have found that it does take patience & adaptation to continue on.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Mara

Re: ConvaTec #421738 Pouches

Post by Mara »

I tried to search on the Convatec website to see that pouch number but I kept getting a message "didn't return any results."

I still use the old-fashioned Stomahesive flange and Natura pouch with a clip....;-) After I snap it on I unsnap it once and re-snap it and feel around all the edges to see it's secure....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
To Dream a Dream

Thanks, Mara, that pouch number I mentioned is actually printed right on the new pouch spout. I'll have to check the ConvaTec site about it.
This new series also only includes 10 pouches in a box (formerly containing 20) which I had to explain to my local supplier for insurance purposes. https://parthenoninc.com/421738-natura- ... uch-10-bx/
The link is to the Parthenon website if anyone would like to see a picture.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
sandys

Re: ConvaTec #421738

Post by sandys »

I’ve been using these pouches for a while and get two to three days wear.

As to snapping the pouch to the wafer, I put a drop of liquid soap in my finger and lubricate the raised circle that the pouch snaps onto. The pouch goes on easily and this process doesn’t seem to cause leaks.

The only thing I don’t like is the cuff at the bottom which makes emptying less easy,so I just cut it off. It is there to tuck the bottom under which I never did anyway.

Take care,

Sandy
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

About not finding the product on Convatec's website. Convatec may have done a lot of redesign of their website recently. But I found this product at https://www.convatec.com/products/ostom ... ble-pouch/ where you need to scroll down to see the product numbers and variations associated with the general description earlier on the page. For example, 421738 is a pouch with 45 mm flange size and no filter, while 421747 is the same thing with a filter.
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
Mara

Post by Mara »

Well, Bob Webtech, since TDaD's original post did not include the exact type of pouch, and on Convatec's website there are numerous two-piece products, it is a bit difficult to go through all of them to find that particular product number instead of finding it through a simple search....;-)

I try to be helpful particularly when I also use a Convatec product but there is a limit to my patience for searching.... :roll:
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

Mara,

Regardless of my detailed description of what's on the web page, I found that page by simply entering 421738 in the Search form on Convatec's website. If that didn't work when you tried it, maybe it's because they were in the process of changing their website at the time.
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
Mara

Post by Mara »

Oops, my bad...typed it in incorrectly....that's old age....sorry!!
To Dream a Dream

I know just how you feel, Mara. Changes! And not just pouch changes. I am so frustrated by trying to keep up with the Cyberworld just to manage our medical appointments. And the alternative is worse -- being kept on hold on our ancient landline phone. Makes me feel like your Avatar.
It's always good to see your posts. And also yours, Bob. I hope our readers appreciate the job you do keeping our Discussion Board & the Website up & running. Great job!
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx