Constipation

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Pamala

Constipation

Post by Pamala »

Hello,
I am trying to determine if being constipated for 2-3 days is somewhat normal. I took the Dr prescribed laxative twice and still nothing. I have a Dr appt later but I am very nervous. I have only had the bag for 6 weeks. If you have had this happen do you have suggestions for relief? Thank you.
ron in mich.

Re: Constipation

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi Pamala its been said on this site that coca cola is good for blockages, myself i used to drink tea or fruit juice. good luck
Pamala

Post by Pamala »

Thanks Ron! I am trying a range of different things at this point.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

Warm prune juice works for me -- too much! Perhaps heat and sip it? Perhaps you can ask your doctor if you can try Miralax? Constipation is caused by so many reasons. Sometimes you even need more fiber (although that'd be a disaster for me). I have an ileostomy and to help "normalize" the output, my surgeon and GI doctor did suggest a small amount of Benefiber with lots of water every day. Caffeine might help but also can lead to stress. Have you tried decaf coffee or warm herbal teas?

Also, even if you feel lousy, moving your body can help. Walk up and down a flight of stairs? Twist to the sides standing up or in your bed?

If you're taking pain killers or tranquilizers or other meds, they also can slow down your system.

Good luck!

Diane C
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed