Ulcer next to stoma and stoma turning white

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Matt-chop

Ulcer next to stoma and stoma turning white

Post by Matt-chop »

Hey there everyone,
I'm kinda freaking out a bit, I've had my stoma for just over 6 months. Our insurance carrier has pulled out of CA, so now were tring to find new insurance. Once thats figured out, I'll be able to go in for a reversal but I've been having some issues and I'm not sure what to do. My stoma sits basically flush with my belly but in a bit of a pit because i have some stomach fat where it was placed. This has made getting bags to stick and not leak a constant problem.

Issue #1: I developed an ulcer next to the stoma. I was able to use stoma powder and get it covered, and it seemed to go away pretty quickly although it made my stoma a little oblong in shape when it healed.. Then one night maybe a month and half later, when dpong a bag change ii was surprised that the ulcer was back but different this time. Instead of having what looked like a hole in the center, it now has a bright red bulge in the center and a hard ring around it. It's almost touching my stoma so being able to keep it clean seems to be almost impossible. This time it's not healing. I've talked to the stoma nurse, but now that I don't have insurance it seems like my only option is to go to the ER. Ive been trying different things for about a week, maybe a little longer but the ulcer is still there and now tonight there seems to be another issue.

Issue #2 when I was doing a bag change tonight my stoma is very pale, almost white. My stoma is quite small, has been from the start, but it seems to be getting even smaller now so I'm not sure if it's swollen or what it's doing. I'm hoping someone has advice or has experienced something similar and can give me an idea on what to expect. Work has been abysmal, the stoma situation has only made it worse, but I just got two very much needed gigs and of course this is going to happen now. If anyone has ideas, id certainly appreciate it. Thanks everyone
Shamrock4806

Re: Ulcer next to stoma and stoma turning white

Post by Shamrock4806 »

You need to get professional assistance ASAP.