Question about Medicare coverage of supplies

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Mara

Re: Question about Medicare coverage of supplies

Post by Mara »

steiconi - you must be very patient - or else for some reason you have no choice in suppliers.

Personally for something as important as ostomy supplies, I don't put up with missing or weird!!! And 50% right means 50% wrong.....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Thanks for the links, Bob. I started out in the late '70s with Squibb when Stomahesive had just been invented. Being highly allergic to Karaya products, it was a godsend for me. Then, they morphed into Convatec & (for me,) the rest is history.
When I think of the progress in ostomy supplies & support that has been made since that 'long time ago,' I am so grateful, not just for myself & my own specific choices. But for all those new ostomy patients out there who have access to resources I would never have dreamed of.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
jstl

Post by jstl »

"When I think of the progress in ostomy supplies & support " Yes! I had my ostomy in 1974 when I was 15. I was provided a reusable, hard but flexible (and thick) neoprene "faceplate" and pouches that were thick and noisy plastic. The products now are so much better and more convenient. However, I'm probably one of the few who wishes karaya were still readily available. I used karya paste until very recently when it became nearly impossible to get. To Me, none of the other options are as good or protect my skin as well or as long as karya did.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Don't know if this will help, but here goes: https://www.brucemedical.com/holkarpaswaf.html
It's a link to Bruce Medical that mentions karaya products. Powder that is now manufactured by Hollister. Seems the rings & paste have gone by the wayside. A shame for those like yourself who found it beneficial.
I was issued United's pouches that had to be worn with a heavy rubber ring, secured by a metal clasp. What a mess! Not to mention rubber band-type tail closures & solvent that is probably outlawed today. God bless my ole enterostomal therapist Nurse (WOCNurses were ETs in that era) who had secured some sheets of the new Stomahesive as a personal favor from a saintly Squibb rep.
Miss Jean Laux, RN ET was my nurse. One of a handful of dedicated professionals who pioneered the old UOA (United Ostomy Association) back in its day. She, my doctors & the members of the local chapter (Southern Tier Ostomy Management Association) in NY State, fondly recalled as S.T.O.M.A., contributed to my own new life as someone who now not only lived with an ostomy, but also, did not give up. I owe them my all.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Hi Bob,

I work in adjudication and just completed my Masters in Healthcare administration. Please feel free to reach out to me if you're still having issues.

Chris
Liz_60

Post by Liz_60 »

The medical supplier I use is Comfort Medical. I called, they set everything up. Including getting RX from Dr for ostomy supplies. Comfort Medical is owned by Coloplast which is great for me because I use them exclusively!