Adhesive remover recommendations.

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Stomapia

Adhesive remover recommendations.

Post by Stomapia »

I am new to this group and to having my stoma I've only had it for about 5 weeks. I need recommendations for removing the adhesive residue. My stoma is fairly active so I have to work quickly, and sometimes my skin is still sticky when I put on the new bag. Sometimes, it causes a week and sometimes not.
Mysticobra

Re: Adhesive remover recommendations.

Post by Mysticobra »

I use an adhesive spray releaser initially to take the appliance off.
It's liquid gold in a spray can. Appliance drops right off.
Then I use adhesive wipes to get the rest off
All the while standing over a lined small trash can in case it gets busy.
Then I get in the shower with a couple of adhesive wipes and finish up in there . If it gets busy it just goes down the drain.
It's important to get all the residue off.
Richard.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Welcome to our Discussion Board. I use ConvaTec's Esenta Adhesive Wipes & Barrier Wipes. Relatively new products for me as I had been using only tap water for decades. If you contact ConvaTec directly, they may be able to send you a sample.
https://www.ostomy.org/
Above is a link to our UOAA main website. If you tap the horizonal lines in the upper right corner, you'll find a wealth of information at your fingertips. Thank you for your post & please check back with our board regularly.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

Wow.
Just tap water. Ouch
Before I found the spray releaser in was tearing my skin up removing my appliance.
I can't remember how I came across the spray. But it made a world of difference. Wipes and removing the whole appliance was still messing my skin up.
The spray I use as I peel it off just spray as you peel and it falls off.
It's made by convetec.
It's called Sensi-Care sting free adhesive releaser.
I still use adhesive remover wipes to get the bits and peices.
I would recommend this spray to everyone. I think it's perfect.
In the beginning I dreaded changing because it tore my skin up.
I don't anymore. I'd post a pic of it but not sure how to here.
Richard.
Mara

Post by Mara »

I just gently pull my faceplate with pouch off. Never use any adhesive wipes or spray on my skin. I just rub off the remaining bits of the faceplate or whatever usually in the shower...I guess I'm lucky that I don't have skin issues...I think that's because I don't use chemicals on my skin.... :)
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

It also depends what flange product you are using. I've used Convatec Stomahesive flanges for almost 40 years. When Durahesive, which was supposed to be better for ileostomies, came out I tried it two times. The first came loose the first day! NEVER has happened on day one. I tried it one more time and couldn't get it off, even in the shower without major pulling of the skin. I thought I was going to rip off the top layer of skin under the flange. Definite fail for me. I heard adhesive removers were available but I have sensitive skin anyway. Why add more chemicals to the mix? So back to what works.

But that's the great thing about multiple product choices and advice here. If one doesn't work there is usually something else.
Mara

Post by Mara »

NEskier wrote: 2024-01-16 10:35:22 It also depends what flange product you are using. I've used Convatec Stomahesive flanges for almost 40 years. When Durahesive, which was supposed to be better for ileostomies, came out I tried it two times......
Yes, I agree - I also have used Stomahesive for decades and remember hearing the same as NEskier, but I never tried the Durahesive....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Actually, ConvaTec's Sur-Fit Natura Moldable Durahesive Skin Barrier with Hydrocolloid Flexible Collar REF 411800 is my present wafer. With a very short small bowel & its highly irritating effluent, it is the only product I know of that allows me 2, sometimes 3 days of wear time.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Nico

Post by Nico »

Hi
Smith and nephew REMOVE or Unisolve for me as I use convatec durahesive. It's the only remover that seems to get off that build up. Make sure you wash and rinse off the remover as well before putting on your bag. You may have to bite the bullet and just take the extra time to remove all that build up but be gentle.
The sprays are good to get it to release ifvits stuck on but I've found the sprays not to be good at removing heavy buildcup.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

I've used rubbing alcohol in the past and in a pinch, spray it into the crack between skin and adhesive item, works just like adhesive remover.

However there are some drawbacks, first off getting on privates or other sensitive skin is going to burn. Next alcohol removes skin oils that moisture skin so it tends to dry it out causing itching like using soap does. Get past these and rubbing alcohol works.

Another method is to take a nice long hot shower, let the skin sweat the appliance off. Drawback is dry skin, so moisturize afterward with lotion.
Last edited by Shamrock4806 on 2024-03-20 09:33:35, edited 2 times in total.
Kimme

Post by Kimme »

Esenta adhesive remover wipes, they are sting free by connvatec. I have sensitive skin. I take my 2 peice moldable off in the shower and use the wipe to get all the glue off which is very important
Liz_60

Post by Liz_60 »

I use Brava Adhesive Remover Wipes and I’ve also used Safe N Simple Adhesive Remover Wipes. I have horrendous sensitive skin and I’m highly allergic to latex. I have to be very careful.