Your otosmy procedure?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Shamrock4806

Your otosmy procedure?

Post by Shamrock4806 »

I'm posting method and experience here for others to learn and possibly benefit by.

It's been my most unfortunate experience that a vast majority of so called "professionals" in wound care are not experienced, likely because they don't have the pain feedback like a real patient has.

First off your going to need to wait, preferably with the otosmy bag still on, until the flow has ebbed quite a bit. Obviously not eating and drinking will assist. However be careful, dizziness comes from dehydration. Be in a safe place.

Taking a shower and cleaning the area around the stoma works, (don't use soap as that removes skin oils and causes itching) but you don't want to overheat your body so that it's sweating as this will complicate putting the bag on later. So warm showers, but not hot ones.

Now you might have to wait in the shower until the flow has subsided. Using a constant rinsing to remove the flow away from your body before it can do any damage to the skin. If your shower doesn't have an endless warm water, like mine, then you should have a bidet on the toilet where you can sit and rinse the stoma clean almost endlessly. Ensure the crotch area is clean.

When on the toilet rinsing, ensure blockage so that an squirting, if it occurs, doesn't shoot out past the toilet. Naturally have toilet paper (Charmin is very soft and gentle on stomas) in the way if it does.

I find certain things I eat will cause high fluid like output and others will cause it to solidify more making for less trips to the restroom. I'm also prediabetic, do this may have something to do with it. You'll have to experiment for yourself but brown rice (prediabetic friendly) mixed with food seems to solidify the output as it absorbs liquid in ones system. Soda crackers works great for me but require advanced planning obviously.

https://sirona-cic.org.uk/wp-content/up ... -bleed.pdf

Items to avoid eating is anything that you have a hard time chewing as it likely will have a hard time digesting and may cause a clog which is bad. I found nuts especially are bad, carrots, corn, some beans, tough portions of meat (veins and grizzle), mushrooms and onions in larger sizes pieces, green beans and other tough fibrous plants. Uncooked, undercooked rice is a problem also.

Once the stoma has finally stopped spewing or that it's so low that it can be dapped up with a piece of very soft toilet paper, you can head to your stoma station where you should have all your supplies laid out and pre-prepared as much as possible (cutting your water holes to size ahead of time for instance)

My stoma station is my bed, with a large mobile plastic case containing everything I need, the bed reason is I remain still for a few hours or minutes after application to ensure proper adhesion, allowing products to dry thoroughly.

On the bed, as everyone with an otosmy should have, is a large soft fiber rubber backed floor mat one can buy at a hardware or office store. This is to protect the mattress from blowouts and sudden unexpected outflows.

Okay here we go.

After leaving the toilet or shower with a piece of Charmin covering your stoma, head to your bed and lay down. You should have a waste bucket with a plastic bag inside for medical waste located close to put trash in.

Dry around the stoma area with toilet paper and allow the skin to dry out, especially stop sweating. Some use a hair dryer and I think this is an excellent idea.

Examine your stoma carefully, especially spreading out the skin around it as it could be damaged.

The products I use are as follows:

1: For active bleeding: BleedStop or StopBleed powder first. Remove dry excess. BleedStop may not hold long term. So expect another bag change soon, like the next day. But bleeding should stop and wound healed some. I find if this far damaged skin that daily bag changes required as scabbing occurs which flake off, causing leaks. So more frequent bag changes with this sort of damage.

2: For slightly damaged skin: Medline Marathon (needs a doctor's prescription or perhaps not?) very GOOD stuff, purple, forms a instant scab. Squeeze to fill skin right next to stoma and then finger spread it out excess further around stoma area. But concentrate on immediate area around stoma, we need to form a good seal there. Don't waste the stuff, it's expensive. Use on top of BleedStop if applied. Marathon is porous.

Note: All this stuff does really is reduces the sting when paste (or perhaps rings) are applied. If one can't get it, then a double thick layer of Skin Barrier liquid dried 30 seconds between coats) poured out of the bottle seems to work well. However when paste is applied expect a more intense (but temporary) sting on damaged skin.

Note: Two things changed at this point. Started cutting a larger oval hole (instead of circular) and stopped using Marathon since it's hard to acquire. My granulomas have disappeared and the skin is rapidly healing. Hurray!

3: Skin Barrier protection, various makers but I find the 3M Calivon (Advanced even better) works good. I find the pump sprayer the best as I can remove the pump and pour a little around the stoma filling the crack and uneven spots, then spreading it out further to cover adhesion areas. Can be used on top of previous products above and highly advised..Or wherever adhesive or stoma output could touch, but not on the stoma itself, it's naturally protected. I find two thick applications allowing for drying works extremely well.

4: Damaged skin like red bumps (granulomas) which can bleed thus causing leaks need to be addressed (going to try silver nitrate sticks or heat.) Edit: No need, they are healing fast on their own.

https://www.oakmed.co.uk/help-advice/ad ... uses-them/

However I find with sufficient barrier spray coating (2 thick poured coatings with 30 seconds of drying) tends to cause them to decrease. Without it and they tend to increase. Note: wafer hole size cut too small can cause stoma to push appliance off skin and cause leaks which causes these red bumps.

May try hydrocolloid sheet, Brava Barrier Cream, silver nitrate sticks, Orabase Paste, Flonase, phenol and trichloroacetic acid (TCA) at a later time perhaps.

5: Skin barrier wipes: I'll use this further outside around the stoma area to cover as they usually don't have a lot of liquid. It also tend to wipe off powder in the process. Same coverage requirements as skin barrier.

6: Stoma and foot powder: I often have problems with these despite dry wiping them off well as it reduces adhesion. Foot powder to combat yeast infections caused by stoma output. What I did learn is one has to apply these first to the skin, then dry wipe, then cover with barrier film, then repeat. Still adhesion isn't great, use until yeast issue is resolved, may cause higher bag change frequency. Good for weeping skin.

7: Barrier rings: Good if one has undamaged smooth very dry skin around stoma. Very important to stretch and get tight right next to stoma or uncovered skin will be burned by acid. Thin one for the first application and pressing it tight right around the stoma, second one on top to mold with and create a more level surface to bond with wafer. I find paste is better as it can be fixed and used to handle uneven areas, the rings can't as easily and may need to be chopped into pieces to level to match appliance.

8: Ostomy paste: Very versatile and can be applied over uneven and damaged skin (first treated with above methods). Again the skin area right around the stoma needs to be filled in when it's dry or it doesn't stick causing leaks. A first thin barrier to fill in cracks and make a smooth surface, will dry quicker than a huge amount. Be very thorough here as any mistakes and your going to regret it. Don't leave the slightest gap or else you'll wind up taking it all off and redoing it later. Check with a small handheld mirror. If you mess up and stoma output ruins things, just head to the shower or bidet and clean and start over. I can't stress this enough, the area right around the stoma is your main line of defense against the acid. Paste may sting damaged skin, but its a good sting, soon to disappear. Unlike an acid sting which is endless. Once a thin layer has been applied and dried, a thicker second layer to take care of uneven areas and bond with the wafer section of your otosmy pouch system.

A quick method I've found is to squeeze a ring around the stoma and using the nozzle in the same motion, level the paste so it's more or less flat on top to quickly marry to the pre-prepared pouch system. If Marathon not used, prepare for a more intense temporary sting.

9: Otosmy pouch system you use (I use Coloplast convex) should be pre-cut and adhesive removed or backing partially started for a quick application once the layer of paste (or barrier ring) has been applied. You don't want stoma output ruining your day. Apply and press down with pressure the wafer area right around the stoma to get the heat and pressure to bind items together and to your skin. This could take a few minutes of heavy pressure. After that I just lay on the bed for a few hours/minutes and allow products to dry and set. Extra adhesive strips applied if required, don't cover the hook holes, pull gently up without trying to pull wafer from skin.

10: Otosmy belt, after a few minutes of heavy pressure it's time to get the otosmy belt on. One should always have a few preset ones just in case one needs washing. Be careful not to move too much, just enough to slide belt underneath and hook on, evening the tension. I use Coloplast as their belts are wider, have four hooks instead of two and seem to hold better than two hook system of Hollister or Conventec.

11: You should feel it's a good application. If any constant pain (other than an itch under the adhesive) may require removal and redoing. You don't want to suffer or damage more skin as it takes time to heal or worse you'll get an infection, resulting in an hospital stay. ๐Ÿ˜ข Itches under the adhesive area may be caused by a reaction between bare skin and the adhesive, peeling up a bit and spraying some skin barrier film may work. Cover the area better next time.

What NOT to do:

Don't get your wafer hole size wrong. Make sure there are no major sharpies after cutting. Check the size of the template you are currently using and check it is not rubbing against your stoma. Oval stomas are possible so the circular circles on the pouch are only guides. There should be 1-2mm space around the stoma to ensure the edge of the hole is not rubbing against your stoma. The paste or the ring is going to cover the skin in between and be flexible to what the stoma is doing, like protruding further outside the body. The stoma needs to protrude through the hole in the otosmy appliance and if it pushes up against the appliance then it can cause it to separate from skin causing a leak. (My stoma is oval and recessed, ah ha!)

Don't apply paste or ring to wafer section then apply to skin. Bad move. Apply everything to skin then the wafer last. You need to seal around the stoma well to prevent leaks.

Don't rush, be through and systematic, perfecting your technique.

Don't use too much paste or too little. May have to use a more layered approach to allow drying.

Don't assume if it's wet underneath it's going to bond, take off and start over, dry well with toilet paper around stoma getting all the little cracks dry.

Don't try to plug leaks or bare with the pain, just go ahead and replace before more damage occurs which takes longer to heal.

I hope this helps you and I will be refining my personal successful procedure further in the future so expect edits of this post.

Your input is welcome. I'm learning just like everyone.

Good luck. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Last edited by Shamrock4806 on 2024-03-16 13:03:12, edited 13 times in total.
Mara

Re: Your otosmy procedure?

Post by Mara »

Hi Shamrock4806 - I must say your procedure is quite long and complicated but, of course, it works for you which is all that matters.

I pretty much always remove the old appliance and clean around my stoma area in the shower. Then I put on the new Eakin seal, wafer and pouch when i get out of the shower. I press the finished product against my stomach for a couple of minutes and then I'm good to go....

So all in, maybe 10 minutes.....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

That would be the ideal otosmy status to get to, the skin is nice and undamaged, slap the ring, pouch on and your good. I was there a few times, using just the rings after being thoroughly dry.

Just had too many "professionals" trying to teach me their bad methods and after two and a half hour drive home, have serious issues requiring a more thorough method to repair the damage.

I guess for some reason, likely due to my prediabetes, my skin heals slowly, this I've learned this more complicated procedure in case anyone requires it.

So count yourself lucky yours is so easy, not all of us are as lucky yet, we have to work at it. ๐Ÿ˜
Mara

Post by Mara »

Well, I have had 50 plus years to work on it.....lol
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

Wow, Shamrock, that's quite a procedure! I hope it helps others. (You used the word "hours" at one point but we know you meant "minutes.")

Because my ileostomy stoma was created on a scar (a very lousy decision, I feel), I do have to fill in crevices. Even when I do with Stomahesive Strips or Coloplast strip paste or another product, stool will leak into those areas. I think using the hair dryer's heat helps and yes, ensuring the skin is dry.

I'm distressed by daily (or nightly) pancaking. Once that occurs, leakage is inevitable, esp on the side where the deepest crevice is. I do use Diphenyloxylate to dry output instead of Imodium. Unfortunately, I do think my GI system is getting used to the medication and I don't want to exceed the recommended dose.

I wish a solution to pancaking existed, esp during the night. I'm writing to the 3 major manufacturers about it. Anyone want to join my campaign?

BTW, I agree with your statements about recommended food. I also find that oatmeal, like rice, or toast can be a thickener and reduce output. I just rec'd acacia fiber and will report back. That's also to thicken output and to be increased in tiny amounts. I mentioned it in another post. I hope it won't lead to more pancaking...

Good luck preventing leakage AND pancaking, everyone!
Last edited by Diane C on 2024-03-03 00:42:27, edited 1 time in total.
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Preparation and application in minutes of course, just allowing much more time to allow the products to dry and bond thoroughly. If I move too quickly to soon, I've found gaps occur sooner requiring a more frequent bag change. I can actually feel the difference, a good bond feels tight and I don't have to worry about it for 3-5 days, as long as I baby it, no strenuous activity or sweating, but usually start getting cocky anyway. ๐Ÿ˜†

Have you tried, after applying skin barrier and other damage repair, slowly layering paste and allow each layer to dry until you got a near flat surface to adhere the wafer section to?

What sort of ostomy pouch do you use? Flat? Convex? Use a otosmy belt?

I have some dips myself but outside the area immediately around the stoma where it needs a firm bond, so those outside dips are not as important and I use the extra adhesive strips to counter the loss of adhesion. I use convex which with a tight belt, applies a heavy pressure right around the stoma where it's virally important to have a strong seal. Flat doesn't work for me and was causing numerous issues.

Daily bag changes is not normal and a real drain, especially when your trying to sleep. I've found eating a lot during the day and less at night seems to avoid nightly toilet visits and the rare blowout.

I've found the Imodium in effective and much prefer finding more natural solutions, diet changes etc.

What do you mean by "pancaking"?

I'm pretty adapt at creating, if I know what it is perhaps I can figure out a solution. ๐Ÿ˜Š
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

Well, I only have 40 years of the ileo but I haven't spent that much time since the first couple of months when I was learning! But what ever works and keeps you comfortable is all that really matters.

I do change in the morning after having 10 or more hours to digest so the system is slower. Shower, use Cetaphil soap and rinse. Dry and wrap stoma in TP before I step out of the tub. Use the hair dryer on me for seconds on air, then use it warm on the flange. Sit on the closed john, stick on flange, run a q tip around from the edge to the stoma to get a good seal and hold with warm hands for 30 seconds. Pop on the pouch and I'm done. I am often teaching Pilates within 20 - 30 minutes of this.
Mara

Post by Mara »

I think I have said before that NEskier and I are almost twins in some ways!!
:) :) :)
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

What is pancaking?

If it means the leveling of flow in the pouch when one is laying flat on their backs, thus in constant contact with the seal around the stoma there are solutions.

Naturally sleeping on ones back with a slight angle using pillows or wedge to pool the flow away from the seal area.

Form a better seal around the stoma so no imperfections exist. Then be gentle and don't abuse it so cracks don't form. Allow it to set up.

Use paste instead of barrier rings and when squeezing, use the nozzle as sort of a leveler to make the paste more or less even all around.

Eat less more frequently especially so flow is reduced during the night.

If its a two part otosmy system, rotate the pouch so it drains to the side of the body.

Use a high output pouch with valve connected via a tube to a floor mounted tank. This can be homemade using hardware store type products. Clamps, hoses etc.

As a fellow suffer I'm always looking for a better solution but I'm still in the early learning phase, people have had ostomies decades before me and what we currently have is likely the best it's ever going to get but I can't help thinking there's got to be a even better way. ๐Ÿ˜€
Last edited by Shamrock4806 on 2024-03-10 11:00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

NEskier wrote: โ†‘2024-03-03 11:09:46 Well, I only have 40 years of the ileo but I haven't spent that much time since the first couple of months when I was learning! But what ever works and keeps you comfortable is all that really matters.

I do change in the morning after having 10 or more hours to digest so the system is slower. Shower, use Cetaphil soap and rinse. Dry and wrap stoma in TP before I step out of the tub. Use the hair dryer on me for seconds on air, then use it warm on the flange. Sit on the closed john, stick on flange, run a q tip around from the edge to the stoma to get a good seal and hold with warm hands for 30 seconds. Pop on the pouch and I'm done. I am often teaching Pilates within 20 - 30 minutes of this.

I hope to get back to that stage again in the near future, right now the skin around the stoma is slowly healing, it's going to take some more time.

Next time I won't be letting anyone touch me there again that's for sure.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Okay! Status update.

Seems what the problem was was bleeding granulomas caused by a small circular hole instead of a larger oval hole to better match my recessed stoma.

I accidentally discovered while attempting a bag replacement and moved, saw my recessed stoma protrude out from my belly, I never saw that before and it explained my problem. Wafer hole too small and stoma was pushing the appliance off causing leaks.

You know they tell you to do things this way, but never explain why. Why is that? ๐Ÿ™„

So I corrected the issue, I ran out of Marathon and started using two heavy coats of skin barrier followed by just paste (stings really good) and slapping the bag right on and pressing firmly. (ouchie) But the skin is rapidly healing and I couldn't be more pleased. Soon to get on the barrier rings once the skin is healed!

Oh happy days. ๐Ÿ˜€
Last edited by Shamrock4806 on 2024-03-16 13:17:30, edited 2 times in total.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Now I've adjusted my diet, my output is sometimes thick and yes pancaking (solid output) around the stoma in the night has likely caused a small painful leak to occur.

So now I realize what others are also having a problem with.

Onto the next problem. ๐Ÿ™„
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

What is pancaking?

Pancaking occurs if the internal layers of the stoma bag stick together causing a vacuum which prevents the contents from dropping to the bottom. The stool remains at the top of the stoma bag which can potentially block the filter. The bag can also be forced off the body.

Please note: Pancaking can happen with a colostomy or occasionally with an ileostomy.

How to prevent pancaking
If you experience pancaking, then you should try and implement the following tips, which may help:

Place some air into the bag by blowing into the bag prior to application, then apply the filter cover, this will ensure some of the air remains within the bag, then once the stoma has functioned try removing the filter cover, this will hopefully encourage the stool to drop to the bottom of the stoma bag.
Some people find it helpful to roll up a small piece of toilet paper or place a cotton wool ball into the bag.
Others find using a drop of oil or liquid soap placed into the hole of the adhesive (ensuring it coats the opposite internal film) can sometimes help the output to slide to the bottom of the stoma bag.
If you are using a drainable bag or a two piece system some individuals living with a stoma find it useful to "de-vac" or "burp" the bag to encourage air into the bag.
Oh. ๐Ÿค”

I think I can prepare my one piece bags with an anti-pancaking addition inserted through the drainage opening.

I think a plastic straw with some rubber cement attached to the inside of the pouch system should resist pancaking and even provide air to combat the vacuum effect.

I'll experiment and see what works. ๐Ÿ˜
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Shamrock4806 wrote: โ†‘2024-03-16 13:38:44

Oh. ๐Ÿค”

I think I can prepare my one piece bags with an anti-pancaking addition inserted through the drainage opening.

I think a plastic straw with some rubber cement attached to the inside of the pouch system should resist pancaking and even provide air to combat the vacuum effect.

I'll experiment and see what works. ๐Ÿ˜
I think a pizza table might work; it's designed to solve a similar problem. But it might not be comfortable, the feet are small and poky.
I'd get all fancy and 3D print something; I'd try a pair of rings separated by a half inch or so, centered over the stoma.

My ostomy procedure is happily simple. I have a colostomy, not an ileo.

On change day (every 5 days or so), I remove the wafer in the shower and wash the area.
I put a piece of paper towel over the stoma, dry my body with a towel, then sit on the toilet.
Hopefully I've prepared a wafer, but it just takes a moment to cut, so no big problem if I forgot. I use convatec durahesive wafers.

Put the wafer in place, add a fresh pouch, then put on my big hole belt to hold the wafer tight. I usually take that off after a few hours.

Less than five minutes. Lucky lucky me.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Things are going better for me now, skin around stoma almost healed and luckily no problems from pancaking.

Hopefully will be moving to using the rings again instead of paste. Just paste is so flexible and easier for unevenness.

I've seen a no-sting paste product so that should eliminate the need for the Medline Marathon.