Emergency ostomy supplies

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Juniorsdad129

Emergency ostomy supplies

Post by Juniorsdad129 »

So my insurance was canceled which will start again this may 1st. I have ran out of supplies my skin is raw and very irritated from not having stoma rings my bags keeps busting and I don't know what to do. I have went to 2 hospitals to be told the supplies were limited the first hospital never gave me anything to change it or clean myself up and I left as I came in with a broken bag stoma exposed. Can someone please tell me what can I do? I want to give up. I have no support system at all
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Re: Emergency ostomy supplies

Post by Bob Webtech »

For some ideas, see the page on our main website at https://www.ostomy.org/emergency-supplies/
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
jstl

Post by jstl »

You might try Kindred Box. https://www.kindredbox.org/
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Medical Monks will overnight supplies to you, they don't accept insurance.

I've found most hospitals almost totally worthless and incompetent. I was fortunate to find the very best one through local word of mouth.

What your looking for is a wound care nurse.

Your stoma rings are not going to be as effective with damaged skin.

1: Starve and dehydrate yourself while sitting on the toilet with a bidet or sitting in the shower until the flow has ebbed to nothing. Wash with moisturizer soap only and completely dry the area, use a hair dryer on low setting. Keep any new flow off your skin while laying down by dabbing using very gentle and soft toilet paper or it will start bleeding.

2: If your skin around the stoma is weeping fluid, you will need to dry it out using light stoma powder. Brush any excess away. Cover the area with skin protectant and allow 30 seconds to dry. Use the hair dryer again. Unfortunately using powder will reduce adhesive strength. Avoid it and even skin protectant if you can as it's an irritation.

3: Next use Brava Stoma Paste, it's pectin based which is harder to work with, but doesn't sting like the alcohol based Adapt paste does. Spread your skin away from stoma and apply a thin layer of paste around the stoma. You can use the nozzle to cut off the level while applying. You need to get this to stick very well to your skin near the stoma. It will be difficult but necessary. Also level the surface as best as possible in case you have scabs or bumps. Do not apply paste to appliance and then apply, this can leave gaps. You need to visually inspect that the paste is as close to stoma as possible.

4: Next use Brava Protective Sheet and remove hard backing and fold in half, cut a half moon to the size of your stoma. Place hole around your stoma and on top of the paste, pressing down to get a good bond. What this will do is absorb moisture and expand closer to the stoma sealing better. You will need spray adhesive remover to change and prevent tearing out hairs and skin irritation. Also there is an extra clear backing on the Protective Sheet which needs to be removed before applying or else it will cause a leak, so don't miss it.

5: Next apply another level of paste, on top of the Protective Sheet, you can use the cheaper alcohol based Adapt base which is more flexible here if you wish because it won't be touching your skin.

6: Have your precut appliance ready to go, bottom sealed and apply on top, pressing with your palm to transfer heat and pressure to get a good bond.

7: I recommend the Coloplast appliances with their stoma belt as it's wider and has four hooks instead of two. Much more reliable and stable. If your stoma is recessed or below skin surface you may need their Convex products. Make sure the hole is large enough for your stoma to stick through as it extends itself sometimes and will push an appliance off and cause leaks. Some like myself, have oval stomas so need to cut an oval opening just a hair or two larger than the stoma.

8: Once your skin is healed and your insurance supply remedied, you most certainly can go back to the barrier rings. I'm now getting four to five days out of an application with slightly damaged skin around stoma because I've not been healing as fast as I used to.

9: I also use the half moon thinner extra adhesive strips from Coloplast as well. If you have a scar that's healing (itches) you should try to avoid covering it with the Protective Sheet, cut the hole slightly offset from center. Let the pouch adhesive and or extra adhesive strips cover the scar area as it's expanding and I've found causes leaks. This way if it does spring a leak as least it's on top of the Protective Sheet and not below it.

This method so far has been the best I've found, even can take warm showers (I just switch belts laying down afterwards and let the other dry overnight) and it has given my skin time to heal up. Im hoping to one day get back to using rings but I don't see how they can be reliable getting close to the stoma or providing double protection like my method does.