To toilet designers out there, what we need

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Shamrock4806

To toilet designers out there, what we need

Post by Shamrock4806 »

I have an illeostomy which a proper toilet design is very vital.

First off those with an otosmy poop out the front of their bodies and a bag collects and dumps into the toilet.

So for us we need bowl water further up front to quickly cover the stinking stool (without splashing effect) when we dump and a jet flush from the front under the lip towards the toilet exit hole to remove as it can be thick sticky stool.

Often the water saving designs don't work very well for us.

Handles on the front or side of the toilet works best, buttons on the top of the toilet can't be reached while sitting to flush. Also those buttons on walls like connected to infrared detectors to auto flush are terrible to reach while sitting as well.

Those toilets with the big handle on the right or left can work while sitting using an elbow to push it, but it's not as good as a handle on the front or side.

We need to flush right away as to eliminate smell and sticking of stool contents to the toilet bowl.

Splash reduction is vital as stool contents often wind up on the underside of toilet seats or on the rim or unfortunately on the body.

Oytosy folks have to clean and even rinse their pouches thus are sitting longer smelling their own feeces. I tried a bidet but found pouring from large mouth wash bottle filled with water/solution a lot easier.

So for us the toilet thing is a two step process requiring much more water and toilet paper usage to wipe off the exit flap twice. Once to remove stool and then drying after rinsing.

Why we need to be able to flush while sitting.

However if the stool is covered by water, then it's not going to stink, thus we can complete both our procedures using one toilet flush at the end.

However all toilets used so far have no water up front to cover anything because solid stuff usually exits out the rear and not on the front of the body like those with an otosmy.

So we ask the great toilet designers out there to pay better attention to our needs when designing your toilets. A lot of housekeeping types will thank you also.
Shamrock4806

Re: To toilet designers out there, what we need

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Of course I just thought I could sit on the toilet backwards.

😆
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Or you could just stand and empty. I haven't sat on a toilet to empty a pouch in 15 years. It's a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll never want to sit again. Think about that for a second....never have to sit on a nasty, public potty seat again!!

I tend to "lunge" forward with my right leg as my ostomy is on my left side. That gets me closer to the toilet to avoid excessive splashing. You can place toilet tissue on top of the water as well to minimize splashing. And, I always rinse my pouch out with water. Removes anything that might create odor, and it feels like a fresh new pouch after rinsing. Plus, I've found that it helps to increase the effectiveness of my filter.

Hope that helps.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

ot dave wrote: 2024-06-09 07:49:07 Or you could just stand and empty. I haven't sat on a toilet to empty a pouch in 15 years. It's a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll never want to sit again. Think about that for a second....never have to sit on a nasty, public potty seat again!!

I tend to "lunge" forward with my right leg as my ostomy is on my left side. That gets me closer to the toilet to avoid excessive splashing. You can place toilet tissue on top of the water as well to minimize splashing. And, I always rinse my pouch out with water. Removes anything that might create odor, and it feels like a fresh new pouch after rinsing. Plus, I've found that it helps to increase the effectiveness of my filter.

Hope that helps.

David
It does thanks.

I'm not to steady on my feet for air drops unless I'm caught outside.

I missed the toilet trying to sit backwards and my back has been out for the last week. 🙄

I do rinse my pouch, sometimes twice, using a large mouthwash bottle with water and some mouthwash. If I do it twice (since I use a one piece) I seal it and go lay down to wash the top out better and reduce bacteria growth and smell.

Anyway sitting is best for me and my aim isn't all that great. If I had a long tube like exit portion I could just stick that into the toilet while standing, but that's going to get messy and hard to clean.

What I do need help on is healing that small gap of skin right next to my recessed stoma that paste doesn't seem to flow into and protect.

Skin protectant doesn't seem to work neither.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of the fluid consistency of painters latex caulk in a thin applicator tube.
Nico

Post by Nico »

Ran into this georgia pacific soft pull at a business and it's so easy. Just pull. No bending to find the end in the usual ones. I'd actually like one for my bathroom. I provided a link below as I can't figure out how to post a Pic.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Georgia-Paci ... /492121691
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

They do and I have elongated toilets
As for smell.
Flushing more than once is a waste of water
I use a product called Just A Drop.
It works well.
I also have a septic tank and flushing more than once is out of the question.
It's really not that difficult to empty.
I have an end ileo. I have to add water before I empty to dilute.
So I keep or carry an empty bottle in public to rinse.
I've tried it without adding water. What a mess.
I sit. Just easier to work with. In public I stand. For obvious reasons.
Everyone finds their own way to do any of it that works for them.
This works for me.
May not for others
Richard.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Just a Drop, interesting.

I don't think that would work for toilets without water up front though or perhaps it does?
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I added a "bidet sprayer" to my toilet. It's just a hose with a spray head. Great for rinsing pouches and the toilet itself.

I sit on a ceramic stool facing the toilet to empty and when I'm irrigating.
At other people's houses and hotels, I often sit on the edge of the bathtub.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

I had a bidet for awhile and was using it to rinse my one piece from the bottom, however it wasn't killing the bacteria/smell very well.

What I use now is an empty large mouthwash bottle with about 10% mouthwash and the rest water.

So I keep this next to the toilet and use it to rinse the pouch out while sitting.

Now it doesn't reach the top of the pouch, so occasionally I'll double rinse and go lay down a second to get the mouthwash up near the top of the pouch to sanitize.

I've had a bad experience using Hollister's two piece ostomy system and only two hook belts coming apart, requiring me to super glue the mess together.

Coplasts four hook belt and ostomy gear is superb however I've been leary of spending a lot on their two piece system despite it having a locking system (they say).

I have a high output ostomy and require many bathroom breaks to maintain, so I'm cautious about all the extra effort involved removing bags to clean, I just don't have that sort of time even to risk switching to another cleaned one really.

Sometimes the bag will fill up as I'm leaving the bathroom and have to turn around and go back in.

I thought about their high output bags, but the weight , the way it sticks out under ones shirt and the tube getting clogged was a concern.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

The Japanese have developed ostomy toilets, and I understand some are available in public restrooms.

One design is an ostomy sink. Instead of the low bowl of a standard toilet, they use a deep sink that's hip high; no need to bend or crouch. It includes a sprayer for rinsing things out.

That's the system I'd want, if money were no issue.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Japanese ostomy toilet sounds interesting. Likely could visit HomeDepo and use a plastic utility sink + bidet, cut the legs down a bit to fit. The thin vertical walls of the utility sink would fit perfectly under a bag/stoma catching the most. Stick the utility sink right over the toilet if space is a concern.

Good old Japanese. I love their food. My ostomy doesn't though..

Sushi and shasmi makes the bag stink of rotten fish

Edamame and soy sauce is salty and the rice both causes diarrhea.

Sake? Oh brother look out! 😆

Love the taste of wasabi. 😋