Time Settings

For information and questions on how to use the discussion board (do not post ostomy related questions in this area!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct. This particular area of our board is only for issues on how to use the board, not for ostomy-related questions!
Gordon

Time Settings

Post by Gordon »

I live in California. My time profile is set at GMT - Hours. It is 0649 right now in California; however, the latest posts are time stamped at 08XX. Can that be right?

Thanks.

gordon
Mara

Re: Time Settings

Post by Mara »

Gordon wrote:I live in California. My time profile is set at GMT - Hours. It is 0649 right now in California; however, the latest posts are time stamped at 08XX. Can that be right?

Thanks.

gordon
Gordon
I am in NYC and I have my time set to GMT - 5 hours. When I log on to the Discussion Main Index page, the time now on the left has my correct time. If yours is correct with your time, that is certainly weird.....
Gordon

Clarification

Post by Gordon »

I meant to say GMT -8 Hours.

gordon
felix-4

GMT

Post by felix-4 »

Hi, Gordon,
This may be a stupid question, but I still need an answer. :oops: What does GMT stand for? Thanks
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Greenwich Mean Time. The International date line goes north and south through Greenwich England. All or at least most "time" is based on the + or - hours or time zones starting at this 'line". An example would be in this country that the Eastern time zone is 3 hours ahead of the Pacific time zone. The East coast is 5 hours or minus hours behind the UK.
There are 24 hours in a day so we have 24 time zones around the earth. Sorry, I don't mean to sound too simplistic. We are used to the time differences here in the states so unless we travel internationally it takes some thought to figure the time in different countries.
Some say that "time" does not really exist but is just a measurement. With that being said it's late here and time to go to bed! Steve
Steve
Ileostomy in 1990 for UC.
The mind wobbles.......
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

I like Steve's metaphysical comments about the meaning of time. Otherwise, you can find some more info in the "Information please" thread at http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=965

While the legal time in most places is offset from UTC/GMT by a whole number of hours, some are offset from that by 1/2 hour, and a few by 1/4 or 3/4 hour. A nice reference is www.timeanddate.com especially their World Clock which displays the time in lots of cities around the world. For example, the time in Newfoundland, Canada is GMT - 3.5 hours. The time in Kathmandu, Nepal is GMT + 5.75 hours.

There's also the daylight savings time (or "summer time") issue, mentioned in some other threads such as http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1526
Our discussion board software doesn't know whether you live in a place that observes daylight time, so if you want displayed times to be strictly correct all year round, you must manually reset the time zone in your profile twice a year if you live some place that observes daylight time (otherwise, displayed times are off by an hour during part of the the year). In the U.S., all states except Arizona and Hawaii observe daylight savings time. In 2007, daylight savings time in the U.S. will run for a greater portion of the year (from March 11 to Nov 4) than it did in 2006 (from Apr 2 to Oct 29).

Bob
Gordon

Time

Post by Gordon »

The international date line thing always confuses me.

gordon
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I don't blame you. I feel the same way. How does it feel when you travel to the west far enough and it's already tomorrow! Steve
Steve
Ileostomy in 1990 for UC.
The mind wobbles.......