British Virgin Islands

For discussing international ostomy issues, including matters relating to the International Ostomy Association (IOA) and its member associations.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.
Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
xhnprar

British Virgin Islands

Post by xhnprar »

I may have to go to the British Virgin Islands on a job for 6-12 months and was wondering if thier is any support groups there.Also what the availablity of supplies.

Dick
Linda in NJ

Post by Linda in NJ »

Hi Dick,

I hope that if your assignment is just 6 months, it will be the 6 that are the coldest in Tonawanda (this from someone who spent many years in Attica and knows what 'lake effect' is all about :? )

The British Virgin Islands do not, to my knowledge or that of the IOA, have an ostomy support group. You might learn of some contacts there through the "ia" (Ileostomy & Pouch Association) of the UK - see their contact page at http://www.the-ia.org.uk/uni_contact.aspx .

As for suppliers, contact the international divisions of the major pouch makers to learn what distributors they work through there:

Coloplast: Link for their "Export Region" http://tinyurl.com/349l36

ConvaTec: within the Caribbean section they show only this staff person: beatriz.torres AT bms DOT com Tel: 787-774-2880 (in Puerto Rico)

Hollister: shows only distributors in the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, in the area. This PR-based company might know how ostomy items are supplied to residents of the Caribbean.

Puerto Rico Hospital Supply, Inc.
Ave. Rosendo Vela Acosta Lote 4
Jardines Industriales de Carolina
Carolina, Puerto Rico 00987
Telephone: 787-622-5151
Fax: 787-622-5156

Since it sounds like a temporary posting, you might find it simpler to continue to purchase supplies stateside and have them shipped to you.

Good luck - and don't forget to let us know how it goes!
Linda in NJ
xhnprar

Post by xhnprar »

Thanks for the info Linda
I never realized how much was involved in traveling overseas. It's not like driving to Canada. This job has been kicking around for a couple of years so who knows where it will go. Your right, it was a tough choice -Tonawanda in the winter or the Virgin Islands.

I actually checked with my insurance company and they have a in-network doctor/clinic/pharmacy on the island but as far as ostomy supplies my best bet is the mail.

Dick