Volunteering

This is the place to post announcements for chat rooms, support group special events and newsletters (please do not post such messages in the regular discussion forums).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
JennieLind

Volunteering

Post by JennieLind »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, if not I'm sorry. Please feel free to move it to where ever it's supposed to be.

I read somewhere (I can't remember where, I've read so many things over the last year), that there was a time when people with ostomies (I think they were affiliated with this organization) used to volunteer to go to hospitals and people's homes, to offer support and help to new ostomates. I think the article said that when ET nurses came into existence this practice eventually died out. I would like to know if anyone can tell me if this is true.

If it is true, I was wondering what you all thought about bringing that aspect of volunteering back. I think WOC nurses are great, but it's not the same thing as actually speaking to someone who's 'been there'. It's like the difference between talking the talk, and walking the walk. I recently read a post on another ostomy website, written by someone who is a nurse that also has an ostomy. Her story was very touching, and it really made me think. I was really scared after my surgery, and if I could have met someone at the hospital who had an ostomy and was open minded enough to be able to share her experiences with me, I think it would have made a world of difference to me. I was thinking, that the patient could be asked if they would like to meet someone who's gone through something very similar, and if the patient wasn't ready, then contact information could be give to them for use at a later date.

If something like this already exists, I would really like to be involved. If not, I would like some input as to whether or not starting something like this would be a viable project. I realize it would take time and a great amount of effort to start a program like this, but I would be very interested in anyone's opinion on this matter. I have time and I think getting involved or even starting something like this would be extremely rewarding and would fill what I think is a very real need. Everything has to start somewhere right, and everything starts small.

Any thoughts or insights on this matter would be very appreciated.

Love,
Jen
Cancer treatment over! Neuropathy in hands and feet.
Never Give UP!
LeeAnn

Post by LeeAnn »

Each Affiliated Support Group has the ability to have what is called a 'visitor' program. Now, this is in the process of being revamped, but it is still in place as we speak. Each group has this, from the old UOA. Affiliated or not.
What this program is :
It is a program that one must be an ostomate for atleast ONE YEAR. After that amount of time, they can attend a trainee night and go through a session to learn the ways in which are best to assist someone who has just had surgery, facing surgery or family members as well. This can be done either through visits in the hospital, or on the phone, and sometimes in the peoples homes post-op. Usually there is a "base" WOCN nurse that will be the front man, the contact person that gets a call from one of the nurses at a local hospital or the patient themselves. Then she looks at the list of her visitors and best decides who would fit with that person to make a visit. Then she will contact that person and arrange for a visit to take place.

This can be very rewarding and a way for you to 'give back a bit' of what you have gotten from the community through your healing process. It is also something that is not for everyone. It can also bring back alot of bad memories and may be difficult for some to do.
I would suggest that you speak to your Chapter President or WOCN at your meetings and see if your group has an active visiting program and when the next training session is. Get yourself set up to attend that and give it a go. If it turns out to be something that is not 'for you' then don't feel bad. As I said, it is not for everyone. It is a difficult thing to do, as you see alot of the stages you , yourself were in and it does get very hard to do sometimes.

Wish you luck. Hope I have answered some of your questions here.

LeeAnn
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF
JennieLind

Post by JennieLind »

Dear LeeAnn,

Thank you so much for responding. I knew you would be the one that would know. BTW, it was your post on the other website that I was referring to (in case you didn't realize).

Out of curiosity, do you know anything else about how the program is being revamped? Also, the thing is, I don't have a Chapter President. And I don't attend a regular meeting. If I understood you correctly, not all groups have an active visiting program. Do you think I should call the different contacts for the various meetings in my area, and ask each one if they have an active visiting program? I don't mind going out of the way, if I need to got to a meeting further away from my area in order to get involved with something like this. I would really like to try this. I think it would be very good for me, and I think I may be the kind of person who would be able to handle it. Even if I find out that I'm not, that's ok, because I would feel good knowing that I tried.

I may not be able to do this right away (I'm going to be having my rectum/anus removed in a couple months), but I think it would be good to do the research and find out what opportunities would be available for me in the future. Plus, if I can find a meeting that had this program, I could start attending that meeting now, so that by the time I'm ready to try this, I'll already have some relationships formed in the group.

Thanks again for all your information! And I appreciate all your advice.
Love,
Jen
Never Give UP!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

One of the requirements to be affiliated is to have a visiting program. The visiting training manual is the same one the old UOA used but references to the UOA and how they handled reporting to the office. etc. had to be removed and references to the UOAA inserted.
It will be made available to all the ASGs when completed and it is close to be done.
What and where is your local group? It is true that some of our ASGs do not have an active visiting program at this time. We are here to help those groups.
Thanks for thinking of how you can give someone else support.
Steve
Ileostomy in 1990 for UC.
The mind wobbles.......
JennieLind

Post by JennieLind »

I live in Union, New Jersey. I have attended the meeting up in Livingston ( by the Livingston mall). I had my surgery in Plainfield,NJ and I know that there is a meeting at the Muhlenberg hospital there, and I'm not sure but there might be a meeting in Summit at the Overlook Hospital.

New Jersey isn't a very big state, so I could go to probably get to any meeting in Northern New Jersey. Maybe even Central New Jersey. Southern New Jersy is a few hours away, but it would still be worth it if the meeting was right for me.

Jen
Never Give UP!
LeeAnn

Post by LeeAnn »

Jenny,
Do some checking and find a group that has an active visitors program. Attend the meetings there and let them know that you are wanting to get involved with the program. Maybe that will spark the interest and light a fire under the group closer to you and get them active in it again as well. There is always a need for visitors out there.
As far as the program 'revamping'........the manual is being redone, some updates and such.

LeeAnn
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Take a look at the Affiliated Support Group listring for NJ and see who is close to your area. Morris County is one. You can find them by clicking on the button on top of this or any page. Our ASGs are listed by state.
Steve
Ileostomy in 1990 for UC.
The mind wobbles.......
JennieLind

Post by JennieLind »

Thanks guys,

I will check out the groups in my area, and then work from there.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Jen
Never Give UP!