Hi !

For discussing international ostomy issues, including matters relating to the International Ostomy Association (IOA) and its member associations.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.
Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
LOVE

Hi !

Post by LOVE »

Since my colostomy in May of 2006, I have not eaten a salad.
I had read that lettuce was one of the hardest vegtables to digest, if you have a colostomy.
I would love to have a fresh green salad.
Any salad eaters please respond....
Cheryl - 2006 Colostomy
cbetts432

Post by cbetts432 »

Hi,
I eat salad on the side with most meals with no problems, people with a colostomy can eat most everything. go a head and eat some salad and chew well and enjoy it.

John b
colostomy: July of 62, Reason: high imperforate anus
majormom2u

Post by majormom2u »

OMG!... my ileostomy does not mind me eating salads all the time!... and I mean ALL the time!... I always chew well and take small bites... and always, always enjoy every morsel... to the last one!... and never had a problem (at least, never blamed salads for anything![img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/grin.gif[/img])

Eat and enjoy!!!... just be careful to begin with, and chew well!... but please, by no means deprive yourself from such pleasure!... that's just my opinion!

Life is short!... have fun!!!

Sandy [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/yahoo.gif[/img]
Uhh.. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
noguts

Post by noguts »

With a colostomy it should be no problem- you actually need the fiber to keep your system working well. Lettuce has undigstible fiber in it- not just hard to digest, we can't do it at all. That is good for our colons- keeps them healthy. It doesn't hurt the small intestine- keeps it swept clean and unless you have problems with strictures (areas of the bowel that are narrow like some people with Crohn's disease may have) it can pass through just like it did before you had part of your guts removed. Have a side order of apples, pineapples, and sesame seeds as well- they will not be digested either but they really taste good!!
Kimberly