Save The Date!!!!

For discussing international ostomy issues, including matters relating to the International Ostomy Association (IOA) and its member associations.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.
Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
LeeAnn

Save The Date!!!!

Post by LeeAnn »

Please keep your eyes peeled to this section for further announcements. We hope to see you there.

LeeAnn and the UOAA
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF
texasgal

Post by texasgal »

I will be there,am kinda concerned about it being smack dab in the middle of hurricane season,and it being in the HOTTEST part of the summer :shock: Im down south so I know what it is like and it ain't nothing nice...Just wondering why not like between say Nov.-Feb. when it is bearable? Is that not a option? Just my 2 cents...Ginger
Pelvic Exenteration~ Its not the quantity of life, but the quality of life
LeeAnn

Post by LeeAnn »

Ginger,
I don't have an answer for that one , at this moment. I shall 'investigate' and get back to you on that. I know it has been mentioned before and there was a legitimate reason, but my mind is getting really old these days............. *sigh*

LeeAnn
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

There are several factors in deciding the dates and locations. This time of year we see heavy business traveling and related conferences and the like. Traveling in the Winter and Fall brings in a harsher weather time of year to travel even though weather may be moderate in places like New Orleans.
Summer is a more traditional vacation time and kids are out of school. Folks are not going to travel when their kids are in school. We also need to be able to have speakers available and the later Summer seems to be a better time. Hotel room rates and meeting space is another factor. Later in the Summer is not "in season" in a lot of areas so room rates are cheaper.
During the Summer we have the Youth Rally and the WOCN national conference so we need to have time away from these events.
We do look at other times of the year. The hotel contracts are signed a couple of years in advances so we can lock in room rates and meeting space. Our conferences are room intensive so we need a larger hotel. Small to mid sized hotels will not give up all their rooms and space to one event because they need to accommodate their regular customers and casual travelers as well.
We had over 500 attendees at the conference in Chicago and we used a lot of meeting space.
We also look at what is available in the area of the hotel because most folks do use their vacation time from work to go and many like to spend time in the area to see and do other things.
As you can see there is not just one or two reasons for the time of year. We try to make it easy for the majority of people to attend.
Steve
Ileostomy in 1990 for UC.
The mind wobbles.......
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Just weighing in about the time of year.

First I am a frequent traveler and also live on the Gulf Coast, Hurricane alley actually.

First the Heat of the summer. In making my travel plans it is not something I really factor at all. Just stay in air Conditioning during the heat of the day. If I want too go out and walk the streetsi do it at night. For instance Bourbon street is absolutely dead during the day, even in the winter time, and SemiDead even around Mardi Gras.

Tours during the day are generally conducted in Air Conditioned Buses and Vans, even the streetCarsin NOLA are air Conditioned.

As for Hurricane Season. Warnings start days and days ahead of time. Those of us that live on the Gulf Coast keep our TVs tuned to the weather Channel. It is a way of life, as our respondent from Beaumont well knows.

I am Planning on being in NOLA, no matter what the date. If a Hurricane is Imminent, I will not be there. it is that simple.

I appreciate the Planning efforts of all involved, Have to plan sometime.

Also as an aside. If the Conference were planned in the winter. The chances of snowstorms in the North are percentage wise more likely to foul plans due to airline and travel delays in the Major terminals, than a hurricane threatening NOLA.

Just me weighing in for what it is worth
texasgal

Post by texasgal »

Thanks Steve for such a good explanation,i just hope we can all squeak by with no problems,it would be a shame for something to happen and we all lose a bunch of money,not to mention the UOAA thats what I am concerned about....This hurricane season REALLY has been a mess and we got NO HELP for OUR losses thanks to FEMA I had ALOT of my firends lose EVERYTHING and with NO HELP from the government....Which tends to make you becaome negative when mentioning loss of properties and money...

MAYBE nest year won't be so bad,becuase we had such a doozie this year,guess we will have to wait and see :D Ginger
Pelvic Exenteration~ Its not the quantity of life, but the quality of life