Phoenix Irrigation Article

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
autodraw

Post by autodraw »

Hello All,

Some time ago I was invited to write an article for inclusion in the Phoenix magazine to tell of my personal experiences with irrigation. This was subsequently published in the June 2007 Phoenix Magazine. The Phoenix has graciously allowed this article to be made available with the following link as a resource to all who are interested in irrigation. This article is based on my experience gained from the five years I had been irrigating to date at that time and the methods I developed which worked best for me. My technique (which continues to evolve) is just one description of one person's experiences with irrigation.

Sharing information has been the central component of this forum and with this in mind, three of us began to notice that there are a number of common questions that crop up repeatedly from newcomers. With this in mind, Michael, Steven and myself set to work to compile a list of what we found were the questions asked most often on this forum. We then collaborated on answers to these common questions. We call it "Irrigation FAQs". (OK, not a mind-bendingly original title but I confess that we reached a certain level of intellectual exhaustion after a point.) The FAQ will undergo vetting by ET nurses and once that process is completed, it will be published on this forum as a resource and to augment the Phoenix article. We wish to thank in advance the great assistance given us by the UOAA forum webmaster(s).
jonfromrenonv

Great Job Autodraw !

Post by jonfromrenonv »

Hi Autodraw,
I read the article - it was terse, you didn't use medical speak, Mich would be proud of your effort.
The only thing I worry about is the weight of output pulling the sleeve off if you keep it clipped. A liter of liquid is about 2 lbs and I wonder if the shear weight of this can pull the sleeve off the stoma. Does it?

I like the pictures too.
Jon
autodraw

Re: Phoenix Irrigation Article

Post by autodraw »

Thanks Jon -- re the weight of a full sleeve, yes, this does exert a pull on the belt. I just grasp the sleeve at the top with my free hand to relieve excess weight before emptying. But now that you've pointed this out, I realize that people who use a two-piece system and snap the sleeve onto their barrier will be at risk of the whole getup being pulled off by a heavy return. I hadn't thought of that at the time I wrote the article. They'd need to use a belt in conjuction with the barrier.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hello Yall;

I irrigate with the sleeve clipped, I wear a Hollister two piece. I walk around waiting for returns and sometimes get a massive return. I have never had a peoblem with the sleeve pulling off.

Not saying that someone might but I have not.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Autodraw;

I finally read your article. BRAVO.

As an aside I read it while waiting for returns from my irrigation.

Also I wish to thank you personally for the help you gave me in the early days of my irrigation Journey.

Jimbob
Chris E

Post by Chris E »

I wear the two piece Hollister and yes, you can have issues with a full sleeve. I was heading to the head to empty the full sleeve and the weld on the sleeve let go. The plastic snap ring separated from the vinyl sleeve.

I've also had separation of the floating flange ring from the clear vinyl on the flange. This was on newly changed flanges and appeared to be bad welds. (I owned an RF welding machine that did this type of work).

I've learned to support the sleeve with anything over a few ounces. Much easier to be cautious than cleaning the resulting mess. <bg>
slobue

Post by slobue »

Hello, autodraw. I'm new here and this is my first post. I wanted to let you know how much your article helped me when I started irrigating a month ago. I do not have a local ET nurse and without your article, I would have probably made a few messy mistakes. Your article gave me the extra bit of information I needed to feel a lot more confident on my first attempt. It means a lot to me that you took the time to write such a detailed and easy to understand article. I appreciate it very much and I'm so glad I found this board.

- Sheri :D
Birth defects, malrotation
imperforate anus
3rd colostomy 6/09
supersusie

Post by supersusie »

Thanks for the great article and especially the product suggestions. I hope to go swimming on my upcoming trip so am hoping my local supplier can hook me up with something quick. If not, I'll wing it with my two-piece tupperware-type minipouch by hollister and put a sticker over the filter. Happy Day to all.
phozzy

Post by phozzy »

Hi I'm new to this board and I had a colostomy in early May 2010, it was an emergency surgery for a bowel preforation caused by endometreosis. I was at an out of network hospital, a general surgeon did the surgery, he saved my life, for that I am grateful. I was so full of morphine while in the hospital I did not absorb anything the wound care nurse tried to tell me. I was supposed to have home health care, but I lived outside the service area, so all I recieved was a big box of appliances, some paste, rings, wipes, etc. I had to figure out everything for myself. NO ONE ever mentioned irrigation. All at the same time, the company I had worked for, for 20 years, went out of business. Unemployment has been used to cover my cobra health insurance (geographically restricted HMO crap), so I lost all amenitites such as cable tv and internet service. I spent three months in South Florida trying to find an in network (insurance) surgeon who will do the reversal surgery. I have been told no by all of them because I am 45 years old 5'4" tall and I weigh 270 lbs, they say the surgery is too high risk at my weight (other than endometreosis I have no other health issues), they won't do it, even though only a small section of my colon was removed. So, I have to lose weight, at least 100 pounds, before anyone will touch me. I am having pouching problems because, I'm heavy and the stoma is located right in the bend of my waist. When I bend over, the wafer creases and loses adhesion, I blow wafers daily, twice daily if I excersise and sweat. I am very regular, I move in the mornings, it takes two to three hours from the time I drink 32 ounces of water for me to eliminate, and then I have tiny minute amounts that leak out through the day, it barely makes a smear inside the pouch. I think I would be a good canidate for irrigation, but I have just moved from South Florida and my health insurance is only good in Broward County except for emergency care. I moved to rural Georgia and I can't even locate a WOC nurse in this reigon. I am ignorant, but teachable, I have made it 4 months pretty much under my own steam, but I need some solutions that will allow me to excersise freely and get this weight off so I can get a reversal surgery. I am keeping the health insurance (cobra) so I don't have a lapse in coverage, in case someone deems me hirable and I can get coverage there. I have been reading this board for hours and there is so much information and support here, I wish I had known about it 4 months ago, any advice, experience or directions would be greatly appreciated, I have been feeling so lost and alone.
Debbie
Temp colo 5/1/10
Colon rupture by Endometreosis
bigbirdian

Post by bigbirdian »

I really appreciate your article I had the lower end of my colon removed in July 09 and the first I heard about irrigation was from my girlfriend, she was trying to learn about what I was going through when she found a video on you tube from some guy in New Zealand who had been irrigating for years, I found it quite interesting. I went to my family doctor and he had never heard of it, so then I saw my et nurse and she finally explained it to me. I now have to go back to my doctor to find out exactly where on my colon they placed my stoma. I don't understand why this information is not given to all patients who undergo this procedure. I'm hoping its on my descending colon and I can start irrigating right away, it seems like it would make my life alot easier.
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

bigbirdian,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry we did not see your message before but no one pays attention to what is up here in the Stickied topic. Check out below the help we can provide to newcomers.

If you are really interested you can review discussions of why you had not heard of irrigation before by reviewing our forum discussions. The faq also has a summary (also by autodraw) which sums it up nicely. One of the nicer viewpoints is that it is no longer necessary because of the wonderful ostomy products we have. Another, more cynical take, is that the manufacturers don't make as much profit from irrigators so they actively discourage it.

We do think it make our quality of life better. We hope you can join our hobby because the more the merrier.

Let us know what you find out.

MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC
gskalt

Post by gskalt »

Hi,
I'm right now in the decision making phase of this irrigation process. i posted about it under the general discussion tab and am still not sure. i know the decision is mine and what's best for me, but certainly look forward to gaining some insight from you experienced folks.

i've got a colostomy (obviously!) after having an APR due to colorectal cancer. now that i've finished with chemo and my body is returned to normal, i'm starting to see a bit more consistency. i'm generally emptying my bag 1-2 times per day. generally once in the mid morning, and occasionally once in the afternoon evening. i use a disposable bag as my output is mostly quite thick and draining it is nasty. something i havent been able to overcome actually. so the decision becomes, do i want to get up by 5:00am every morning to do this? i usually leave for work by 6:30ish and evening time is the only time i get to spend with my family so i dont want to take away from that. i play hockey 1-2 time per week at night, so on those days i just wont eat much before i play. so far it hasnt been an issue. if i have to step into the locker room to change it, i'll do so. while i like the flexibility and the idea of not having my bag fill up while i'm talking to people or farting, etc... i'm not sure its worth it to dedicate one hour every morning, and lose the sleep.

has anyone else had the same thought process or considerations?

Greg
Dx Rectal Cancer: 5 '10
Perm Colostomy: 9 '10
staying healthy, sans my ass
phozzy

Post by phozzy »

Hi Greg, sorry, we don't often check the sticky topics for new postings, you will get better responses if you post a new thread in the irrigation forum, we overlook this area most of the time. It does not move, so it's hard to spot. :)
Debbie
Temp colo 5/1/10
Colon rupture by Endometreosis
NEgirl

Post by NEgirl »

Hi Greg,

I don't work but have never been a morning gator because I have so many variables in the AM. Sleeping late (when I can!) , early doctor appts, taking my husband to the airport, etc and I know I have to keep to a fairly regular schedule when irrigating to get the best results. It is a trade off, spending the time irrigating vs dealing with the output during the day. If your family time includes children perhaps you could irrigate after they are in bed. If you get home from work at the same time every day maybe you could take an hour of "down time" for yourself, explaining to your family that this really makes you feel better and the quality of time spent with them will be better as well. I have found early evening works best for me. That way if I have late returns I'm at home and better able to deal with it. If I were working I'd rather stay up a little later than get up an hour earlier. Plus, I have found you never want to irrigate when you are under a deadline to be somewhere at a specific time until you know how long irrigation will take. Every time I have been in a hurry it seems to take longer. With your lifestyle I think night time might be worth a try. Good luck!

Karen
Rectal cancer 11/08
Colostomy 2/10
Mets to R lung 4/11
Mets to L lung 7/12
gskalt

Post by gskalt »

thanks for the responses. Phozzy - you've always been quick to answer my questions so you actually did comment about a post i used to inquire about this. Karen, i just dont think the evenings will work as there's too many variables. i dont have a fixed schedule. sometimes i'm home at 6:00, sometimes at 8:30. and also doing things in the evening (play hockey, go out on weekends). the evening schedule would really constrain me). i really cant get that regularity. mornings are my only time, i'd have to carve it out of my day. at this point, wiht my current life, i think i'm going to forego the irrigation. my justification is that my pooping nuances are not worth the large time investment early on. as long as i maintain some diet consistency and keep really well hydrated, i'm pretty good. sure going to a black tie wedding next wekeend may cause an inconvenience. i'm sure that i will have to miss a few minutes of a hockey game to make a quick change. but frankly that happens to everyone. i'm certainly better off than my goalie who once had a bad case of diarhea and had to get all his gear off in time to get to the toilet!! :) yuk/

back to me, i think that i'll hold off for now. if things change... mabye when the kids are older, i can change my habits. but at this point, coming home from work when i do, i normally only get 90 minutes with them, including family dinner time. i'd rather not spend 75% of that time in the bathroom.
Dx Rectal Cancer: 5 '10
Perm Colostomy: 9 '10
staying healthy, sans my ass