Kock Pouch catheters needed

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
maggier

Kock Pouch catheters needed

Post by maggier »

I have had my Kock Pouch for over 30 years. Doing well! I have used the same brand (Mentor) catheters all of that time. They have been discontinued. I am looking for an equivanlant. Does anyone have any ideas? I really do like the silicone and the 18" part!
lesson

Re: Kock Pouch catheters needed

Post by lesson »

have you tried the www.continentostomystore.com?

They have a few to choose from.
I have been using Marlen for the past few years. It has a bullet tip with two side holes. I do not have the info in front of me but there is a place in Rochester, Minnesota that distributes the catheters we all come out of surgery with. Nice and pliable.

Check out the site and see if something there works.
mets

Post by mets »

I also had a Kock pouch done around 30 yrs. ago and am still using the same Medena M8730 catheters. They work well. In the past few months, I've had more mucous discharge and the stoma coverings that I use start to leak early like at 2 to 3 hrs. Have you had similar problems and what type of coverings do you use? I'm using Stomaseal dressings with part of an Ultra thin Stayfree pad underneath. I tried samples of various AMPatches but they leak out too. Any suggestions?
lesson

Post by lesson »

I have used various coverings over a 30 year period. My insurance does not cover my supplies so I try to be cost efficient. Even so, I like nursing pads the best. Depending what kind of undergarment you wear, you may not need tape to keep it on.
I have a lot of mucous output, and sometimes stool leakage. The pads have always kept the output from reaching my clothes :)
mets

Post by mets »

Thanks for the info. What brand of nursing pads work best and what type of adhesive or tape do you use?
Harleyangel

Post by Harleyangel »

I am new to this site but I've had my continent ostomey for 4 years now. I have used the www.continentostomystore.com for everything. I now have a temp loop ileo that will be reversed in 4 weeks and I can even get these supplies from there as well. The price for my catheters is about $.95 cents a piece and I order 10 at a time. This gets me through about 4 to 5 months. I also get my supplies within 2 to 3 business days of ordering.
Mollie

Adhesions to small intestine
Ileo Apr. 2009
Take down Aug. 2009
bcirray

Post by bcirray »

Also try Austin Medical Supplies ( www.ampatch.com ). They have all my needs. I have a variation of the Koch called the BCIR. I use the Medena 30fr Straight Cath. lnstead of the now discontinued Mentor 30fr Cath. It is shorter, but there is a connector whereby you can fit two together and accomplish the same length. It also has the 3 holes as did the Mentor.

Ray S.
Douglaspjk

Post by Douglaspjk »

Hi guys,

I have a few boxes of Ampatch G3 size that I'm willing to sell on the very cheap-cheap. I lost my K-pouch last month and can only use them now for possible future cuts or scrapes.
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

Mets,

Have you found a solution to your problem ? I am experiencing the same thing after almost 20 years. I've tried skin preps before applying the Ampatch, but it's not much help.

Lynne
Lynne, CDN Chair
Flemmart

Post by Flemmart »

Those am patches rip your skin off. For 30 yrs, I've used an overnight superthin menstrual pad cut in half. The sticky side can attach to my undies in the daytime giving my skin a rest. Then, at night, I use nursing pads, gauze or these pads with a little bit of paper tape to keep secure. I always shave the skin where I place the tape as well.
Ileo 1979 Kock pouch 1980
squid56

Post by squid56 »

I use mostly gauze and tape in my continent urostomy that leaks. I also use AMPatches to give my skin a rest. If am in a situation that I know I may leak onto my clothes and I will not be able to change, I also use a nursing pad over the gauze and tape as added protection. Thanks Lesson-you taught me that one! One thing you can try is to put the very thin duoderm on your skin and then the tape may adhere to it better, plus you can leave it on and save your skin from taking tape off every day.
Mikebe

Post by Mikebe »

Does anyone know where I can find a 30 fr coude catheter? Can a catheter this large be purchased? Currently, I'm using a Marlen bullet tip; however, I really need to find a curved tip. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

You can order through any of the large suppliers, Parthenon, sterling, etc. Or check with a local medical supply store. Also, try www.continentostomystore.com.

Lynne
Lynne, CDN Chair
Mikebe

Post by Mikebe »

Thank you!
lezah2

Post by lezah2 »

I lived with a K-pouch for 37 years, 20 years before the first rework in 1998. Had many blockages that all resolved themselves until the last one. I was unable to find a doctor for a rework, was told the ratio of endurance was low and went home from the hospital January, 2016 with an ileostomy. I now have quite a number of catheters for the Koch Pouch, and I would like to find someone who would benefit from them. There are several kinds, all new and in their packages. Some are better quality than others. If anyone reads this and wants them mailed to them, I will be glad to do so. I do not want reimbursement for them but like for them to benefit someone who needs them. Lezah2