POLL ABOUT FLIGHT SECURITY SCREENING

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.

Which one of the following expresses your feeling about screening for airline travel

Full-body scanning is so intrusive that I will not travel and run the risk of having it done.
5%
I am very anxious about the possibility of having to undergo full-body scanning.
15%
I am somewhat anxious about the possibility of having to undergo full-body scanning.
15%
I am OK with the possibility of undergoing full-body scanning as long as my identity is protected.
20%
I an totally OK with the possibility of undergoing full-body scanning when I travel.
44%

Total votes: 415

LindaAukett UOAA Advocacy

POLL ABOUT FLIGHT SECURITY SCREENING

Post by LindaAukett UOAA Advocacy »

About a year ago there was a poll on thIs Discussion Board about full-body scanning.* Given recent events, we are repeating the poll, and hope that all will take part in expressing your opinion. Please vote for one option, and feel free to leave additional comments if you wish. The poll was originally set to last until the end of January but we have decided to extend it. You can change your option, if you wish to do so upon further reflection.

You may wish to review other recent discussion threads on this subject:
Radiation Concern: http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16134.
Airline Security: http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16106
Flying with an Ostomy: http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16046
Travel Restrictions Lifted Some: http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16050

THANK YOU FOR EXPRESSING YOUR VIEW!

* see the former poll results at http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12272&p
Robert

Re: POLL ABOUT FLIGHT SECURITY SCREENING

Post by Robert »

Totally ok with me.
gofisch

Post by gofisch »

I'm just waiting until the terrorists figure out that they can bring explosives on board in an ostomy bag! Now THAT would be an intrusive screening!
Frances
Maryel

Post by Maryel »

At first I could not register my vote. I tried again and it worked -- the first time I had wide red lines and it wouldn't take a vote, oh well,
mew

When you see the wide red lines you are looking at the poll results. You have to go back to the original post in order to vote (as you figured out). Thanks!
chefsusan1

Post by chefsusan1 »

I feel that if we have to be screened, and it is done is a respectful manner, we all will be safer, and in the process help educate the TSA employees

Susan B
St. Louis
Profireman35

Post by Profireman35 »

I just hope they check "inside" the bag too. I mean if we're sharing, let's really share.

Please see the post and sample Travel Cards at this link, and comment on them if you wish:
http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 63#p137183

More full-body scanners on their way in 2010

TSA Announces deployment of more full-body scanners

You can click on the title for the full Associated Press article, but in a nutshell:
"[more] units will be fielded in the coming months at Charlotte; Cincinnati; Columbus, Ohio; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Kansas City, Mo.; and in California at San Diego; Los Angeles; Oakland and San Jose.

The scanners will join three machines going online Monday at Boston's Logan International Airport and one being deployed next week at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago.

All are among 150 machines bought with money from the federal stimulus package. They join 40 machines already in use at 19 airports."

Regarding the initial 40:
Six of the machines are being used as first-line screeners instead of a metal detector at airports in Albuquerque, N.M.; Las Vegas; Miami; San Francisco; Salt Lake City; and Tulsa, Okla. The other 34 are used for secondary screening of people who set off a metal detector in Atlanta; Dallas/Fort Worth; Denver; Detroit; Indianapolis; Jacksonville and Tampa, Fla.; Los Angeles; Phoenix; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; Richmond, Va.; and two airports in the Washington area: Baltimore/Washington and Reagan National.
LeeAnn

Post by LeeAnn »

Having had many issues with the TSA and even reached a point that I would rather drive than to fly due to the TSA screening process, I must say that the idea of the scanners is much more appealing than having my appliances held up in front of 100 people behind me or my shirt lifted infront of them as well as my bag totally gone through and left for me to put back together. That, to me is humiliating. Being viewed on a screen that noone sees my face............ go right ahead. If they want the nightmares that it could produce, have at it. (Trust me, things are going south, really quickly) If they want to look at my bony body with an appendage hanging off the right side, let them. If it means that I will be left to my privacy infront of the 100 people standing behind me and my bag will be left in some sense of order and my belongings not held up for the world to see, I am all for it. If it means I can get on a plane with some sense of comfort that I will land at my destination in one piece rather than spread across the green yonder below.........have at it. It is not full color shots with my face plastered with the body. It does not have my name included under the picture or any 'identifying' properties. It is like an xray and they can see all that is missing.......... what an eye opener that may be for many. (Can hear it now, 'This woman has NO Intestines, where did they go?")
Pardon my lightness with this. I have been through the full scanner, it really is no big deal. And that, to be honest, was one of my most pleasant trips through the TSA. No hassle, no embarrassment, none of the issues. I just went through like the people infront of me and the people behind me. Nothing asked, nothing exposed.

I hope that this may help some who are on the fence about this issue.

LeeAnn
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF

I sure appreciate your positive reaction on the scanner, and don't mean to burst your bubble about the carry-on luggage issue, but the full-body scanner won't necessarily improve anything with regard to how TSA looks at your hand luggage. Eliminating suspicious metal objects (like scissors) from that trip on the belt through the X-ray is the best defense. I know, I know, TSA says you can take scissors on if they are short and obviously part of your ostomy 'kit' or gear - but pre-cutting your wafers and drawing as little attention as possible to your carry-on luggage is the best way to avoid the embarrassment you mention.

One tip for this age when most airlines are charging to check bags -- minimize your carry-on volume as much as possible. Yes, you want to have the essentials with you, but the reality is that it's the early boarders who get the overhead space, so aim for something that will fit under the seat ahead of you if absolutely necessary. The latest problem brought to my attention was someone who was in the last group to board, overhead space all gone, and the passenger's choice was to quickly and publicly pull some things out to go under the seat and gate-check the roll-aboard, or not take the flight (the passenger had no trust level that the bag would actually get there through a plane change). This passenger was told: "Sorry, FAA rules apply" and when it was mentioned that airlines were stepping the American's with Disabilities Act rights, was told "FAA laws trump disability issues ... too bad."

Second, aim for an early boarding position when you book your seat, or get there early if you are flying Southwest. It's a tough choice, since (aside from SW) seats in the front get the better boarding group #, but seats in the back are closer to the restroom for coach passengers.

Alternative approaches - if you have the luxury of pre-planning, send some items ahead by mail or UPS, or have your supplier send some to the location you will be visiting. No doubt about it, peace of mind is not inexpensive.

The travel security news today (April 2, 2010) affects only people traveling INTO the US. Not domestic US airline traffic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/us/02 ... lobal-home

LUGGAGE ISSUES

Not security-related - or not much anyway. This article in the NYTimes describes the present situation with baggage checking vs carry-on.
http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/tr ... html?fta=y

It's a fluid situation (another way of saying it will probably get worse and/or more expensive). For folks who want to carry on all their ostomy supplies when they travel, you really need to plan on packing a bag that will fit under the seat.

For those who want to look into the luggage forwarding that is mentioned in the article, here's the link: http://www.luggageforward.com/

That site has a very helpful chart of luggage fees and policies for lots of airlines, at http://www.luggageforward.com/excess_baggage_fees.jsp

For some trips you can as easily pack items into a box and ship via UPS (why pay for the weight of the suitcase itself), but you need to make sure you can easily find a way to ship them home again.
bobparish

Post by bobparish »

110% OKAY with me as I have to fly and have nothing to hide

Bob Parish
UOAA Director
redeye

Post by redeye »

Just got back from Alaska yesterday. I was thanked and blessed by the officer for my military duty. (I always use my military I.D.) When he didn't realize my very high illeostomy I pointed it out and he thanked me for informing him and apologized if he had made contact with it. They were great, even in Omaha which has been my worst encounter. They must have gotten rid of him.

Redeye
Opportunity hides within adversity! Have you looked for it?