POLL ABOUT FLIGHT SECURITY SCREENING

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.

Which one of the following expresses your feeling about screening for airline travel

Full-body scanning is so intrusive that I will not travel and run the risk of having it done.
5%
I am very anxious about the possibility of having to undergo full-body scanning.
15%
I am somewhat anxious about the possibility of having to undergo full-body scanning.
15%
I am OK with the possibility of undergoing full-body scanning as long as my identity is protected.
20%
I an totally OK with the possibility of undergoing full-body scanning when I travel.
44%

Total votes: 415

Mara

Re: POLL ABOUT FLIGHT SECURITY SCREENING

Post by Mara »

redeye wrote:.....When he didn't realize my very high illeostomy I pointed it out and he thanked me for informing him and apologized if he had made contact with it......redeye
Just curious why you told TSA person about your ileostomy - I have flown numerous times and never told anyone. Did you go through that new type of nude screening? Thankfully I avoided it recently at ORD - they have them at some entrances but I found one with the old-fashioned xray archway.....and even better, my new titanium big toe hemi-joint didn't set it off.... :D
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
redeye

Post by redeye »

I had the good luck of being randomly chosen for the "pat down". He had just finished running his hand down my left front abdomen and I knew what was next. I did not see the full screen walk through at Anchorage but Omaha does have the full screen walk through. Personally, none of it bothers me anymore. When I was in the German hospital they had me walking from one room to the other in the nude. The modesty thing left me long ago :wink:

Redeye
Opportunity hides within adversity! Have you looked for it?
robin from nj

Post by robin from nj »

Interesting article in the 12 Sep 2010 NYTimes about airport body scanning health risks and safety concerns
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/travel/12prac.html
bobparish

Post by bobparish »

Thanks to all who were a part of the poll on Flight Security! Thanks to Linda Aukett who did the work.

We have little to fear.

Sincerely,

Bob Parish, UOAA Director
SueSueUSA

Post by SueSueUSA »

FYI: for what it is worth, today on the Noon News, they reported that they will be suspending the use of body scanning xrays at all airports after its one year trial.
Had a clip of some people in the 'tube'.
For the reason they stated that the machines are 'too slow' and do not do anything better than the previous procedure with the metal detector.
etc... I believe this is supposed to be effective in November......
Colo. 2003
If you are going through Hell,
keep going-W. Churchill
LindaAukett UOAA Advocacy

Post by LindaAukett UOAA Advocacy »

I sure wish I could confirm that report, SueSue, but am not able to. The only reference I can find is a suit filed by a group called EPIC (Electronic Privacy Information Center) to discontinue the use of the scanners. Please look at their webpage at http://epic.org/privacy/airtravel/backscatter/ - you might have heard a report about their suit. They also refer in their 'News" section to the European Union holding hearings next week on the scanners' efficacy and safety.
thompsonatl

Post by thompsonatl »

:cry:
I was asked to enter a private screening area at the main security area checkpoint of Atlanta airport with a supervisor and the person who originally screened me near the full body scan area. I explained to both the supervisor and the original screener that I had an ostomy. Neither person had heard of what an ostomy was before. They asked me to lift my shirt and I exposed the very top portion of my ostomy bag, about an inch. They then asked me to expose the entire ostomy bag which I had to pull down to just above my private area. I explained in detail what an ostomy bag was and they looked at each other quizzically and said you can go.

I did not file a formal complaint with TSA at the point of screening, as I had business commitments that I could not compromise by missing my flight.

I travel on a weekly basis and I have not been screened with the body scan since July 26th 2010. Since then, I have gone through the T gates to avoid this embarrassment, which did not have a body scanner until last week. I am now worried that I will have to go through this embarrassment every week.

On the TSA web site, it states “Advise the Security Officer if you have an ostomy or urine bag. You will not be required to expose these devices for inspection.”
This did not occur. I feel like my civil rights have been violated.

I am not embarrassed that people know I have an ostomy. But having someone ask me to pull down my pants in public or in private is too invasive for me.

Todd T.

Today, I have sent a complaint to TSA, Homeland Security and my congress person. I will let you all know what the response is. Yes I want to be screened of course, but I would like to be able to carry a government recognized ID that would identify me as having an ileostomy, which would hopefully help the process a little smoother and less invasive.
JerseyDeb

Post by JerseyDeb »

I thought the issue of full body scanning was put to rest. but I guess it has not. I used to travel frequently on business and pleasure and even now that I travel less, I am thankful for any measure that puts my safety first. I cannot believe the measures that some go to concerning the full body scanners.

there are some groups out there that are planning to have protests over the holidays by creating as much confusion in the airports as possible. Not only are they planning outside protests but some are planning to buy cheap tickets (not actually planning on traveling) to get inside the airports to cause concern and confusion at the security checkpoints themselves.

When I traveled on business pre September 11th, most foreign airports had military and much stricter security checkpoints. I personally welcome anything that has my personal safety in mind. What these people are doing is wrong, very wrong.
I've beat sepsis twice in one year and lived to laugh about it..
Mirandarosr

Post by Mirandarosr »

I have a hip replacement so each time I fly I must submit to a separate exam. Over the last 5 years and maybe 6 flights, I was thoroughly examined once, to the point that the person felt my ostomy appliance and asked about it. I told them what it was and she had to ask her supervisor, then let me go. I shudder to think what they'll do now that they can really touch you all over. I don't like the idea at all. The scanners are not available at all airports, so that will not always be an option.
KatiedinColorado

Post by KatiedinColorado »

I have a knee replacement and an ostomy. Does that make me an ostomate and a replacemate? :P I am always patted down, and would prefer the full body scan, as I think it would be faster. I am not at all concerned about invasion of privacy, etc., but I am concerned about my carryon being left unattended while I am patted down. Before I had the knee replacement, I had to drop my drawers - twice - in Istanbul. Apparently their machines are so sensitive that the metal button on my pants set them off. The Turkish people didn't have a clue what my pouch was, but let me go. The Air France people said oh,
an oper-ay-cee-own, and let me go. In June I will be going through scanners in Toronto, Madrid, Frankfurt, and Paris, and wonder what is in store. I don't wear the pants with the metal button to fly anymore. I will concentrate on how lucky I am to be going to all of these wonderful places, and forget about the gritty details. Happy travels, everyone!
gskalt

Post by gskalt »

I dont think i'l have a concern about it. i exptect to be travelling in 4 weeks so we'll see. my intention is to inform the TSA agent about my colostomy. i dont mind lifting my shirt up and showing it to them. if they want, i'm willing to give them the package so they can give it the sniffer test. :)

i'll check my scissors. and i will pre-cut anything i need in advance.

GK
Dx Rectal Cancer: 5 '10
Perm Colostomy: 9 '10
staying healthy, sans my ass
RedWingsFan

Post by RedWingsFan »

Oh I would be happy to pop open my ileostomy pouch so they can take a look. Hope they enjoy the smell. You could clear the line up pretty fast...............They are now telling people with prosthetics they must take them off. A woman with a mastectomy was ordered to take it off so they could see she wasn't carrying anything in it. The humiliation is disgusting. And this is how the TSA treats American citizens. Try PROTECTING US instead of treating us like criminals.
Colectomy and ileo Feb 09
Gutless&Buttless
Ronb

Post by Ronb »

I recently traveled to Israel and the check through there was simple. They profile people and it works. While waiting in line a security person asked what I was doing in their country, I told them that I was on a tour. He smiled and said “have a good time”. Of course we went through metal detectors, but they don’t have body scanners and apparently they don’t believe in them.

I flew out of OK city, Atlanta, and New York. I was pulled aside once to have my hands swabbed, but that was the only checking they did with me. I have a BCIR now so it probably won’t raise a red flag like the bag will. I nearly had my bag pulled off several years ago in Bolivia by security, I was going to take it off and stick it under his nose but I think he realized what it was and waived me on. He spoke no English and I no Spanish.
I hope that TSA gets it figured out soon to keep us ostomates from the humility scenes like the recent pat down of the gentleman with a urostomy and spilled the contents on him
ileostomy 5/77
BCIR 9/97
gskalt

Post by gskalt »

i think it may have been another thread, but i posted earlier how i saw on fox news this morning that they interviewed the guy who's urostomy bag blew up. fox posted the procedures for the tsa agents and that it does not include asking to see the details that they have been doing. if you want to go for a private scan you can have a family member come.
Dx Rectal Cancer: 5 '10
Perm Colostomy: 9 '10
staying healthy, sans my ass
wolfva

Post by wolfva »

Ronb wrote:I recently traveled to Israel and the check through there was simple. They profile people and it works. While waiting in line a security person asked what I was doing in their country, I told them that I was on a tour. He smiled and said “have a good time”. Of course we went through metal detectors, but they don’t have body scanners and apparently they don’t believe in them.
Israel has the best anti-terrorism procedures in the world; they should considering how often they've been attacked. In Israel, they don't beleive in 'feel good' motions, but instead in procedures that actually work. Unlike us here in the US. The Politicians are so eager to be seen 'doing something' that they implement poorly thought out 'feel good' procedures that don't do anything to advance real security or safety.