Where does your state stand on CRC screening in 2011?

Share the non-ostomy part of your life (but please limit the random jokes!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
LindaAukett UOAA Advocacy

Where does your state stand on CRC screening in 2011?

Post by LindaAukett UOAA Advocacy »

Initially posted in 2010, with some comments thereafter - now updated for 2011

Early screening for colon and rectal cancer is something that makes a lot of sense. Including the benefit in all insurance policies does too, but a lot of states do not yet have effective legislation to require insurers to pay for the tests.

Medicare covers screening for those over 65 or permanently disabled, but that leaves a LOT of Americans at risk. Medical authorities suggest that screening should start at age 50, and we know from the Colon Club that colon cancer can be diagnosed much earlier than that.

Where does your state stand on this issue?
Click here for an up-to-date map for where states stand now. Note that Hawaii now has an "A" rating, thanks to work that was done just since last year.

You can see another map at this link:
http://eifoundation.org/programs/eifs-n ... tate-stand . Click on your state and some details will appear under the map.

Help us convince more state legislatures to promote screening
You can locate your home state legislators by going to the UOAA Advocacy page and entering your zip code ... here's the link: http://capwiz.com/uoaa/dbq/officials/ . Once you see your state Senator and Legislator names (in the right-hand column), you can click on their names to find contact information. Some will provide an email address, and others will take you to a "webform"in which to enter your comments or requests.

Thanks for being willing to speak up!

baglady

Re: Where does your state stand on CRC screening?

Post by baglady »

I am appauled that NY rates an F at this rating!! I am on my way to write to the state legislators !!!
Urostomy 1973, Colostomy 1993, 5 failed hernia repairs, kidney stones.
ron in mich.

Post by ron in mich. »

hi all, now i,m really disgruntled not only does mich. get an F but the U.P. of mich. is not on the map. ron in upper peninsula of mich.
Ryan_in_CA

Post by Ryan_in_CA »

For those of us with private insurance we do not have to wait until the state requires CRC screenings per say. You can appeal to your employer to pay for this added coverage during your next open enrollment. No need to sit and hope that the legislatures will keep our best interests at heart, take action. In this environment of HCR (Health care Reform) a lot of employers are looking for ways to reduce health care expenses. Screenings are a big part of prevention and catching disease early enough to reduce the cost to treat said disease. We can all play a role in maintaining a quality health care system while at the same time making it better.

Been there and doing it now...
Cancer sucks, ... what's your sign?
Sinfulsot

Post by Sinfulsot »

Rhode Island gets an A!
Stomas are red
Asphyxia is blue
Yes I am very morbid
And darn cynical too
memegans

Post by memegans »

Good ole' Ar-kee-saw gets an A too!
Permanent Ileostomy/Feb. 08'
ostopus

Post by ostopus »

Maryland got an A too! :D
Permanent ileostomy - Crohn's disease
http://ostopus.wordpress.com/
Susy

Post by Susy »

Indiana is backward in many areas (used to be the syphilis capital of the nation in a neighborhood downtown - we are so proud.), but we get an A for CRC screening! So, any syphilitic Hoosier can have CRC testing!
Crohn's since 1989; sigmoidproctectomy/permanent colostomy, June 2009
ChaoticBlu

Re: Where does your state stand on CRC screening in 2011?

Post by ChaoticBlu »

I'm in Michigan with Ron, and on Medicaid..I don't have to worry about anything anymore with the colon myself, but preventative screening should be a must. I have no idea if Medicaid would cover that, I doubt it. Not to mention even drs who take medicaid don't always check your coverage. One of my drs-well the office anyway-is REFUSING to check if I'm covered for something and if there's a copay. And I've been told twice when I called Michigan Enrolls that I am not allowed to call myself, that only a dr can call. My main dr is great with it, but to think you can get denied something you might be covered for, let alone denied something that definenlty should be covered..I feel I'm not in control of my own health. Michigan needs to change their practices, time to write to the legislators!
Ulcerative Colitis
Ileo- Nov.25, 2010 (Happy Thanksgiving <_< )
Official UOAA Lurker