So, what makes a Veteran?

A place where Military Veterans with Ostomies and Diversions can discuss items of common interest.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
LDFAN

Re: So, what makes a Veteran?

Post by LDFAN »

Hubby served in Viet Nam 66/67 (I met him shortly thereafter). I/we often wonder if there is any correlation having served there/agent orange etc. There is no history of this in his family.... parents or 4 siblings.
Wife of a long time UC sufferer.
Permanent Ileostomy Dec. 2010
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hello LD;

I was in VietNam 67/68 and again in 72. I thought the same thing about my cancer. I visited the Local VA clinic and was showed a list of the types that they had determined was caused by the Agent orange, Mine was not one of them. That was in 2005 when I checked.

I would suggest that you check for yourself as things are always changing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ve ... facilities

This is a link to the VA medical Facilities nationwide, you should be able to find one nearby. Let us know what you find out.

Jimbob
nowrest10

Post by nowrest10 »

Aim High! 20 year Air Force here. Great boards.
janetk

Post by janetk »

I am the proud wife of a retired US Navy veteran and mother of a daughter who recently retired from the US Air Force. I had ileostomy surgery at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. My doctors and care that I received there were excellent.
Rotorhead

Post by Rotorhead »

Hey Janet, I had my surgery there as well. Doc Ron G made me an awesome stoma that allows me to do pretty much anything now, and I've really gained back my abdominal strength. I know folks knock Tripler quite a bit (I had a real clown show there myself when I went in with a broken arm) but the surgeons and onc department really are first rate.
Aloha
RH
CRC, finishing chemo Sep 08
http://rotorheadsblog.blogspot.com/
janetk

Post by janetk »

Hi RH, I have nothing but good to say about Tripler Hospital. My youngest child was born there. A Dr Giddons did my ileo surgery, who I'm sure has long since retired. He was so very kind and I've never had any problems with my stoma. I just wish it was a little bit longer as one side is almost flush. I get 3 or 4 days wear so I'm okay with that. I miss Hawaii at times. We were there from 1967 until 1980. My son went there on his honymoon and says it isn't the same as when we were there. We lived in Ewa Beach and had to drive through sugar cane fields to get there. Maybe someday I'll go back to visit and see for myself.

Aloha